Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Dalian Windbuilde

Send a message via AIM to Dalian Windbuilde
Default What's up with parents?

First off, let me clarify that I love both my dad (Inm) and step-mom to death. So don't take any of this as a *flame* on them.

What the h*ll are the parents' problem? They tell the kids to let them know and express how they feel about something. Then when one of the kids tells the parents that they disagree or that they feel mad about something (using words, no physical abuse to anything/anyone etc), the parents take it as the kid is back-talking the parents and then punish the kid. What the h*ll is up with parents "encouraging" us to express our (kids) feelings and than get on our @$$ about it? Does ANYONE else find irony in this? I think it is f*cking retarded. How can kids voice their opinions (which are encouraged earlier by the parents) if the parents just bash the kid for doing so?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
parents just don't understand
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
Noprobs

Aye, funny things, parents. I remember a good few years ago saying to my old dear. "Can we just sit down and talk about this like adults." She went off the wall at me. Maybe I shouldn't have started laughing at the irony.

Nop)
Noprobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
Chiteng
Supporter

Because they dont REALLY want to know. They simply want affirmation.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
korast

Holy Shit I Went Gay.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:19 PM   #6
hymdall

more wisdom from the master...

How can kids voice their opinions (which are encouraged earlier by the parents) if the parents just bash the kid for doing so?
This is the crux of the situation really, how did the kid voice his/her opinion? Voicing your opinion openly and tactfully is different than throwing a temper tantrum and cussing out your parents. Parents don't want affirmation, regardless of what the idiot above says. I cant speak for all parents, but mine welcomed my opinion as long as I did it civilly and hopefully I'll be the same way to my kid (he's only 3, so I have a ways to go, though he could slow down some, Im having too much fun)

Hym
hymdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:50 PM   #7
Abrucx

you should cut them down with an axe
Old 12-30-2004, 11:43 PM   #8
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Vote Democrat, Dal, that'll show him.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:12 AM   #9
Azraelwrath

You're their fucking slave until you leave the house.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:27 AM   #10
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by korast
Holy Shit I Went Gay.
What? You mean you weren't already gay?

---------------------

Originally Posted by Chiteng
I can agree and disagree on this. It all depends on what the child is trying to express.

As for Dalian,

Ahhh, the joys of youth. You seem to be going through the rebelious "adults don't know shit, but I know it all" stage of life. First you lash out about teachers (http://www.erollisimarr.com/forum/sh...d.php?p=326327 ) and now the parents.

It's a part of growing up.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:29 AM   #11
Xerion

Liberal parents are more understanding than conservative ones.
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:45 AM   #12
Inmountains

It's all in the delivery grasshopper. When I was a kid (meaning under 25), I was NEVER allowed to even state an opinion. As a parent, I have tried to reverse that and let me children state their opinion. The problem is, they state their opinion in a condescending "I know more than you do" attitude. The problem is the LACK OF RESPECT that is evident when many children state their opinion.

Hmmm, maybe the problem is the free car, free gas, free internet accounts for EQ and EQII. Only having to pay for half your auto insurance. Maybe when you turn 18, you can buy your own car, own gas, own insurance, pay for your own EQ play time and more. You are 17 years old and posting on an internet message board at 4:03 am. Seems like your parents are being really lax on you. I find it rather hypocritical to be bashing parents with all the privileges you have.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:22 AM   #13
Keldarn

What I find odd is the hashing out of these issues on a public message board, instead of face to face in a more meaningful manner.

But that's just me and my warped sense of reality...
Old 12-31-2004, 09:25 AM   #14
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
steam vent is for flamewars and revealing your personal problems
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:27 AM   #15
Veo

Originally Posted by Inmountains
It's all in the delivery grasshopper. When I was a kid (meaning under 25), I was NEVER allowed to even state an opinion. As a parent, I have tried to reverse that and let me children state their opinion. The problem is, they state their opinion in a condescending "I know more than you do" attitude. The problem is the LACK OF RESPECT that is evident when many children state their opinion.
Yup. It's all about attitude.
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:20 AM   #16
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Veo
Yup. It's all about attitude.
Attitude works BOTH ways. If you present something as 'take it or leave it'
You must remember the option to LEAVE it exists.

As for knowing more, or knowing better, than the parent.....
I always felt that if I DID know better than the parent, it was the parents problem and tough for them.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

You just need to kick your dad's ass once to show him who's boss. Force seems to be one language he might understand- English sure isn't
Old 12-31-2004, 01:30 PM   #18
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Ah, the days of teen angst. How I miss them...

Not.

Look, it works like this. Parents will try to do what they think is right. Kids will continue to resent it. Nobody is going to see eye to eye, and when the kid grows up both parties see just how stupid they each acted, and life moves on.

It happens to everyone, and it's not worth the effort to dwell on it.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #19
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Chiteng
I always felt that if I DID know better than the parent, it was the parents problem and tough for them.
Key words never spoken more true. Just like every kid feels they know better than the parent.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:02 PM   #20
Xerion

Originally Posted by Inmountains
Hmmm, maybe the problem is the free car, free gas, free internet accounts for EQ and EQII. Only having to pay for half your auto insurance. Maybe when you turn 18, you can buy your own car, own gas, own insurance, pay for your own EQ play time and more. You are 17 years old and posting on an internet message board at 4:03 am. Seems like your parents are being really lax on you. I find it rather hypocritical to be bashing parents with all the privileges you have.
Uh oh, pwned and GROUNDED!! LOL
Old 01-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #21
Dalian Windbuilde

First off, I posted this in the Steam Vent because I had to Vent some Steam. Duh!

I was bashing STUPID teachers. Don't just say teachers in general, because that is rearranging what I said. Anyone who is as stupid as my last semester's teacher deserves to be bashed.

As for the "I am smarter and better than you" from the kid to the parent........I have NEVER had that attitude, but as EVERYONE ELSE FUCKING SAYS, it IS that no matter what. I KNOW I AM NOT SMARTER AND BETTER THAN MY DAD. DO I HAVE TO BE JUST TO RANT ON HIM? HELL NO! I have a rant, I am going to fucking post the damn thing. I KNOW I AM NOT BETTER THAN ANY OF MY PARENTS (except for my biological mom who is currently on her 5th husband and whom I hate). I just have an issue that will not be listened to. I may be in the "rebellious stage" but I sure as hell am not rebellious. I have an issue and am complaining. You all do it!

Dad said it is the lack of respect and presentation. Well I have lots of respect for him and his wife, so that deals with the first one. As for presentation, well Dad, maybe if you would quit getting offended by me just SAYING something in a civil manner to you, we could get things worked out. I tell both my parents (dad and step-mom) that I have a problem with something and they say to sound more respectful. Hell, I don't say one damn fucking cuss word when I tell them about what is bugging me. What do they expect me to do? Jump up and down, throw flowers in the air, and tell them that everything is la de da? It's so damn retarded.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:31 PM   #22
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Dalian Windbuilde
Hell, I don't say one damn fucking cuss word when I tell them about what is bugging me.
I love this thread
Old 01-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #23
Dalian Windbuilde

What's funny is that I made that line just for you Horma.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:48 AM   #24
Xerion

From your last post, I can tell that you get worked up easily. Try to control your temper, calm down and then present your problems to your parents.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:11 AM   #25
Oakinbier

When parents tell you they want your opinion and such they are not asking you to use this as leverage to get your way. (not saying this is what happend to you). Starting to feel like you can make your own decisions but not having the freedom is a constant struggle and one reasons why Teens and their parents tend to not get along very well.

Parents struggle to keep control of their children and children struggle to gain their independence. Truth is you wont get your independence until you dont have to rely on them for anything. As long as they play a part in helping you in life "MOST" parents will feel that they have a say in what you do, and how you do it.

Stricly based on my own personal perspective.
Daane 70 Priest
Core of Valor

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
BEWARE MY E-PENIS WRATH!!!!
Oakinbier is offline   Reply With Quote