Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default UN gets their toes stepped on by W

Bush just owned the UN and they dont like it.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3944374

United States President George Bush was tonight accused of trying to undermine the United Nations by setting up a rival coalition to coordinate relief following the Asian tsunami disaster.

The president has announced that the US, Japan, India and Australia would coordinate the world’s response. But former International Development Secretary Clare Short said that role should be left to the UN.

“I think this initiative from America to set up four countries claiming to coordinate sounds like yet another attempt to undermine the UN when it is the best system we have got and the one that needs building up,” she said. “Only really the UN can do that job,” she told BBC Radio Four’s PM programme.

“It is the only body that has the moral authority. But it can only do it well if it is backed up by the authority of the great powers.”

Ms Short said the coalition countries did not have good records on responding to international disasters. She said the US was “very bad at coordinating with anyone” and India had its own problems to deal with.

“I don’t know what that is about but it sounds very much, I am afraid, like the US trying to have a separate operation and not work with the rest of the world through the UN system,” she added.
I guess the UN smuggling 23 billion with Saddam sort of hurt their reputation. oh wait a second they never had a reputation.

Morals to deliver food?

In case any smartass wants to brag about the UN. this is how they are handling the starving in darfur.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4133239.stm

UN suspends food aid for Darfur

United Nations food convoys to Sudan's western Darfur region have been suspended because of fighting.
The World Food Programme stopped its deliveries on Monday when rebels attacked police stations in the neighbouring state of West Kordofan.

Road closures prevented 70 trucks carrying rations for some 260,000 people reaching Darfur.

Despite an April ceasefire, clashes between rebels, pro-government militias and the army continue.

The UN has called Darfur one of the world's worst humanitarian crises, with some two million refugees relying on aid handouts since the conflict began nearly two years ago.

Truck theft

Security on the ground continues to deteriorate and the African Union troops sent to Darfur to protect the ceasefire monitors are having little impact on the fighting.

"We're talking about a major humanitarian delivery that was stopped," the UN's Radhia Achouri in the capital Khartoum told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme.

"We have decided to not proceed until further notice, until the security situation is reassessed," she said.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #2
Offem
Aiming to heal the world

Send a message via AIM to Offem Send a message via Yahoo to Offem
I read that article too, the other day. WTF? Nothing like punishing the innocent (so it seems anyway) because the U.N. (again, so it seems) can't control the rebels. Way to go U.N.!Makes me angry. Especially if the trucks were the people of Darfur's only way of getting supplies. Now what do they do?

fav quotes:

You typing in caps just makes me laugh thinking you're stomping your feet saying "mom, they're doing it again". - Oakinbier

Beware, the gays are coming! The gays are coming! - Gauche

In America, death is the most common way that people legally die - Random Article
Offem is offline   Reply With Quote