Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 09:15 AM   #1
Codsan
The Codfather

Default What if they left the level cap at 50?

I had this idea pop into my head while I was responding in the thread about the OoW level cap being raised to 70, but I knew it would be off-topic yet interesing enough that it would warrant it's own thread.

What if Sony/Verant had left the level cap at 50 with Kunark and just introduced AA at the time?

How different would the game be from what we have today in regards to content, mudflation, expansions, class balance, etc?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
We wouldn't see mobs hit in the 4000 range. Encounters would probably be balanced around small raids of people doing content instead of massive 72+ man zerging.
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
Bumamgar

Then EQ would have died off a few years ago.

Bitch and moan about the "grind" all you want. EQ is still going strong because the carrot/horse strategy WORKS. It keeps people playing the game.

There is a reason EQ is the #1 MMORPG. All the other games that have come along "listened" to the playerbase, did away with timesinks, downtime, and grinding, and guess what? They all suck. None of them are able to keep players coming back for more. None of them are able to foster the community and interplayer dependancies like EQ. Love it or hate it, EQ's constantly raising bar for "top end" is the #1 contributing factor to it's continued success.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

What if Sony/Verant had left the level cap at 50 with Kunark and just introduced AA at the time?
You forget the atmosphere before Kunark was released, People were quitting in droves, plane of sky was stupidly hard for rewards inferior to Lower Guk. If new AAs were given and the level cap was kept the same the feel of true progression would not have been there (just like whats going on now) and people would have continued the exodus. EQ would not have lasted this long if level caps were not raised.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Codsan
The Codfather

Remember this is a "what if" not an "I wish" type of discussion, more of an alternative history if you will.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
Foust Farseer

it would have been interesting and new....for about a month. then people would quit.

i kind of like having mobs like..nagafen, vox, kunark dragons and such..conning blue. knowing that i have advanced beyond a dragon is a nifty little aspect of a fantasy world.

EQ has so much potential to stay at the top, so much so that an EQ2 wouldn't be needed unless there was a plan to completely scrap all current character models, zone textures and all other assorted graphics for more advanced ones.

Things that would be a godsend to many many people...

-solo LDoN type missions, class dependent, level dependent, possibly race/diety specific as well that involve the classes abilities. this would give the player a sense that he or she have mastered the art of being a cleric, warrior, necromancer, rogue..whatever.

it could utilize the instancing system, but there would need to be an actual department dedicated to designing them and ensuring their uniqueness. the current zones for LDoN seem to be built off some template.

-old world enhancement. not the retuning of zones...but the addition of zones. how many places on the original Everquest cloth map do you see that have not been implemented yet. whatever happened to the Plane of the Underfoot? What happened to Veeshan? Perhaps instead of just expanding into the outter planes and beyond, try focusing on the current planet. Hell, implement the Plane of Shadow where you can find Luclin...make the zone in somewhere in Luclin, which would be appropriate ya know.

--What I would love to see is something akin to the Greenmist quest, but for every race/class combination. Hell...turn epic quests into that. A quest starting at level 1...and advancing every 5 levels or so...all the way to level 65. and not once requiring more than 1 group of average-geared players for the level.

--and most importantly....make all planar (yes, including pohate, fear, sky) zones have seperate areas, or even seperate zones (ala chardokB) where faction is dependent upon the chosen deity of the character. all mobs conning green or red and unattackable...merchants for diety specific stat food..banks..and a shitload of quests.

ok, so i got a bit off topic.