Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
Joril

Send a message via ICQ to Joril Send a message via Yahoo to Joril
Default OOW pushed back

Hello Norrath!

I wanted to announce that we've decided to push Omens of War back to Late August in order to give the EQ team time to respond to important issues that the EverQuest community is raising (specifically including the issues with Gates of Discord). We've heard some concerns from within the community that we feel are important enough to push back our next expansion and spend time fixing the problems you have brought to our attention. At the end of the day, we work for you and it's important for us to demonstrate that we both understand and appreciate that. We're also inviting many members of the community to join us here at SOE for a day to have a direct dialog with the development team about issues that are important to the EverQuest community as a whole. We've already sent out the invitations and are making all the arrangements. In addition, our EQ community managers will be coming up with a list of issues raised on the message boards so that we can come back to you with a specific list of things we're going to address.

I'm sorry if you feel we haven't been listening and reacting appropriately. We do our best to balance all of the needs and concerns you raise along with expanding Norrath and giving you new and wonderful things to do in EverQuest, but we do make mistakes. We've heard you loud and clear.

We have many things planned for EverQuest over the upcoming years, and our goal is to keep you happily playing EverQuest for a long time to come. The best way for us to do that is by first and foremost is by listening to you.

John Smedley
President, Sony Online Entertainment

http://eqlive.station.sony.com/news_...sp?story=62268

Im shocked they actually listened to all the complaints and did something right for once.
My Stuff
Joril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Hahahaha!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
FurryCrew

I think i just saw a pig fly passed my window....can't be....nah.....
FurryCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:57 AM   #4
Cerden

Go figure. WoW really must be scaring them. :P
Cerden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:54 AM   #5
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
Too little. Too late.
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:55 AM   #6
Iannyen

http://www.gucomics.com/archives/vie...cdate=20040526
Iannyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:32 AM   #7
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
It seems that after today's and yesterday's GU comic, the EQ Devs sent out a sniper assassin and took out the GU forum boards for what Woody started there.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
Iannyen

Hello Norrath!

I wanted to announce that we've decided to push Omens of War back to Late August in order to give the EQ team time to respond to important issues that the EverQuest community is raising (specifically including the issues with Gates of Discord). We've heard some concerns from within the community that we feel are important enough to push back our next expansion and spend time fixing the problems you have brought to our attention. At the end of the day, we work for you and it's important for us to demonstrate that we both understand and appreciate that. We're also inviting many members of the community to join us here at SOE for a day to have a direct dialog with the development team about issues that are important to the EverQuest community as a whole. We've already sent out the invitations and are making all the arrangements. In addition, our EQ community managers will be coming up with a list of issues raised on the message boards so that we can come back to you with a specific list of things we're going to address.

I'm sorry if you feel we haven't been listening and reacting appropriately. We do our best to balance all of the needs and concerns you raise along with expanding Norrath and giving you new and wonderful things to do in EverQuest, but we do make mistakes. We've heard you loud and clear.

We have many things planned for EverQuest over the upcoming years, and our goal is to keep you happily playing EverQuest for a long time to come. The best way for us to do that is by first and foremost is by listening to you.

John Smedley
President, Sony Online Entertainment
Translation~
"Oh fuck! Where are you going? Come back!!"
Old 05-27-2004, 06:24 AM   #9
beith

Translation~ "Oh fuck! Where are you going? Come back!!"
Cept... not too many of us were actually GOING anywhere. Woody was talking about boycotting OOW. Not buying it. Raise your hand if you were actually planning not to buy it. Watching your guild pass you to lvl 70 and getting left behind.

I agreed with what Woody was saying, but I was still going to buy OOW for just that reason. I think this is just a really cool gesture on the part of the Smed. Let's face it: we weren't going anywhere. We were grumbling, but still playing. I'm sure everyone can list a few people who have quit; so could I. But not so many that SOE had to worry about making us happy because they were losing money.

In short, they would have MADE much more money from releasing this expansion as promised than they would have lost from us disgruntleds. I think they're actually listening to us and this was done out of good will.

beith, idealistic
Old 05-27-2004, 06:59 AM   #10
Inara
Thats Mistress to you

Well, personally I have seen at least 8 accounts get cancelled since they announced Oow. And that is just in my small group of friends. These are level 65 people with poo loads of AA's just under the level of what GoD and Oow are directed at. So if that is exponential to all the servers and their populations, well, that is a shit load of people cancelling their accounts.

I really do think the cancel account button has been getting lots of use over the past few weeks. Smedley would never have done this just because people asked. They are watching their revenu drop from subscription loss. This is what they are doing to try to halt that momentum.
Inara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:26 AM   #11
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Beith
I think they're actually listening to us and this was done out of good will.

Good will, no- business necessity, yes.

And yeah, I still would have bought the piece of shit just for the level cap change
Old 05-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #12
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
If you looked at the chart of subscribers to online games that was posted a few months back, EQ has been on the decline since and before the GoD expansion.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #13
Cless

Send a message via Yahoo to Cless
http://pw1.netcom.com/~sirbruce/Subscriptions.html

That's the chart Zelgadis is talking about.
Cless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:04 AM   #14
Evelle

Maybe you weren't going anywhere but my husband and I left with our two best friends in EQ for a grand total of about 8 accounts just 6 weeks ago.

I am not great at math or anything but that still adds up in the long run if you figure that is about $104 a month (rounded up to $13 a month) just from our 8 accounts factor that in for a year and you have a lose of about $1,248 a year. Sure that's small change for SoE but that is just losing 4 players. Plus, we have all chosen not to sell our accounts so they aren't getting any revenue from our accounts via other sources either. Add into that all of us not buying the expansion for 8 accounts too $30 each that's another $240 they won't be getting from us. I sure wish I could get back what we spent on GoD! Hell, I'm thinking about calling Volfie and seeing if we (me, G, V and Z) should all take a vacation together somewhere next year on what we saved alone.

I hadn't decided to be done for real until I heard about the expansion and the 5 new levels that did it for me. That really put the nail in the coffin for me. Was fun for the last 5 years though.

Edit: Sure you can argue that there are new people starting everyday but those new people don't have multiple accounts they are footing the bill for. They might not feel the compulsion to run out and buy a new expansion if they aren't at the high end yet. GoD sure didn't seem to offer a whole alot to the mid-range player. If I didn't have a level 65 character I'm not sure I would worry too much about buying an expansion that offered 5 more levels I might never see.

Last edited by Evelle; 05-27-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Evelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:04 AM   #15
Iannyen

Cept... not too many of us were actually GOING anywhere. Woody was talking about boycotting OOW. Not buying it. Raise your hand if you were actually planning not to buy it. Watching your guild pass you to lvl 70 and getting left behind.
Raises his hand. I haven't logged in for about 3 weeks now, except to try and demote my toons from officer status.

I agreed with what Woody was saying, but I was still going to buy OOW for just that reason. I think this is just a really cool gesture on the part of the Smed. Let's face it: we weren't going anywhere. We were grumbling, but still playing. I'm sure everyone can list a few people who have quit; so could I. But not so many that SOE had to worry about making us happy because they were losing money.
You were going to buy OoW because the last expansion was fucked up? Keep that "we" shit in your pocket. Lets face it, you don't speak for anyone other than yourself. Lots of people make lots of different decisions, all the time. Unless the "we" you are referring to are you and your alts, in which case, I apologize. I was grumbling, and not playing. In 2 months, my subscription runs out. I *probably* won't renew. "We" will see. The more people that are unhappy, the more people quit. Take the people out of the game, and theres no difference in this game and something that isn't costing $13 a month to play. And trust me, unhappiness is contagious.

In short, they would have MADE much more money from releasing this expansion as promised than they would have lost from us disgruntleds. I think they're actually listening to us and this was done out of good will.
Beith, I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Math. Math, this is Beith.
/sarcasam off.

Selling "X" units of an expansion now (where "X" = # of average adolescent EQ lemmings that will buy anything SOE shits out, regardless of content quality or track record) versus selling the same "X" units, plus "Y" units, (where "Y" = # of people that are dissatisfied because current content is fucked up, and refuse to buy something before current issues are rectified) means that SOE stands to make more money if the fix broken shit first, THEN release an expansion.

beith, idealistic
Well, yeah.

Iannyen, Realistic.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #16
Zelgadis

My accounts have both expired as of a few weeks ago.

Actually, I just let them expire because my financial life has been creaky lately and I want to make sure I don't spend money where I could go in the hole from. Last thing I need is an automated billing system charging me X amount of money when I have $5 left in my bank account. ><

It's a good opportunity to break from EQ and catch up with other parts of my life that I've been juggling with the game.

Old 05-27-2004, 01:10 PM   #17
AtticaX'Layan

Default Bitches

I won't buy GoD or OoM. They can blow me.
Nuzzley Bardstomper
AtticaX'Layan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #18
Kinbien

Gotta agree with Cless' first post... too little too late.

There's no doubt that they don't have someone snuck into the WoW beta and they know how much it's going to hurt them when they know the customer base is going to look at a simple 2 hour period of play in EQ and compare that same time to WoW

2 hours of EQ == hey all 72 of us are here, buffed, medded, and ready to start the raid! (now that the obligatory AFKs are done too)...

2 hours of WoW == hey I just got 2 levels, new gear, new skills, and all kinds of other upgrades! Even completed some quests that omfg give me more xp than killing the monsters in the quest!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:43 PM   #19
Zelgadis

The EQ Dev staff has people who play other online games, that's a given if you read around enough.

Old 05-28-2004, 01:37 AM   #20
casolinth

The EQ Dev staff has people who play other online games, that's a given if you read around enough.
Or look at the majority of the content they borrowed from other games.
casolinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:08 PM   #21
Cerulean

Send a message via ICQ to Cerulean
Or look at the majority of the content they borrowed from other games.
I've never understood the theory behind this retort. I'm not picking on you in particular. This phrase is used a lot in a kind of sideswipe toward EQ - implying they've stagnated and must 'plagarize' ideas.

I, for one, am glad they are willing to evolve the game. Them lifting ideas from someplace else and implementing them only makes this game richer and more well rounded.

In the end all creative endeavors are plagarism to an extent - originality is only as good as you hide your sources. Do we have to make the Tolkien, AD&D references when EQ comes up? no. AO was the first with instancing - so no other game should have instancing, ever?

Actually, hell, I'm not even sure that is true, many MUDs used a form of instancing for adventures (randomly generated encounters that were specific to the individuals).

EQ plans to stay around. The creators are not all knowing, omniscient types - they are developers that are limited by their own means. If a new idea comes up that they hadn't thought of, why not try to incorporate it? As long as they aren't stealing specific code or lifting copyrighted material then its completely morally defensible - and not to mention a great business move. In the end the players win - the industry is forcing evolution. Imagine the games 10 years from now.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote