Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 PM   #26
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
I thought FF9 was great!

Well, except for the summons and limit break attacks.

Anyway, we were talking Mario Brothers, weren't we?

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #27
solemneyes

Its the subtle touches like how he slowed down to assure he did not get a third star to save time that I liked about this He either had all that choreographed or got damn lucky... hate those wrenches :P and not getting grabbed by any of the three hands... lucky bastard :P
solemneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:41 PM   #28
Quichon

Cid has been in every Final Fantasy game since II (and I mean the jap number II that was classless and first appeared in the US in FF: Origins, the one us americans refer to usually as II on the SNES was actually IV) with the possible exception of FF V which first appeared in the US in FF: Anthology that also brought out FF VI (oldschool FF III) which was, in my opinion, the best FF to date.

Chocobos have also been in every game since FF II except for Mystic Quest. They were not present in the movie either (for which sad lack I threw popcorn at the screen).

Biggs and Wedge has been re-occuring characters since about FF VI, where they were the two Emperial grunts sent along with a main character at the very beginning of the game who got killed off in like ten mins into the game just like they do in every succeeding game and the FF movie. The names are blatent rip-offs from Luke's two best friends in Star Wars IV (the one that came out first when most of you weren't even born yet). I am surprized Lucas Arts hasn't sued them yet.

The first Final Fantasy game waaaaay back on the NES even before SMB3 has little in common to the succeeding ones, save for the title and some of the monster types. None of the re-occuring things ever occured in it because it was just a second gen NES game (about the same time as Dragon Warrior and Legend of Zelda) and didn't have the memory for that sort of stuff. As it was, they did an outstanding job with the technology they had to create a game that pretty much started the RPG genre.

FF:MQ was the crappiest FF game to have ever made it to the US. It was actually called FF:american in japan because it was so dumbed down. It had none of the re-occuring things in it because it was sooooo dumbed down. You can beat it in about 6 hrs if you really want to. However even in this game I believe there was a Cid (or Cid-like character).

Sonic the Hedgehog might actually be resurected now that *someone* bought him from Sony. To tell the truth, Sony was always good at the R&D department, but their marketing and playability really sucked.

Mario is still alive, although I was rather surprized that his tall and skinny brother was the star of the Game Cube version of the SMB game. What can I say, nature favors quantity over quality. Which explains Mario games, cockroaches, and linebackers.

It's amazing what sort of trivia you have stashed back in your head when you have no life...

Swifttail of 60 seasons
Quichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:02 PM   #29
Edyukated

well i know for sure he was in 8 and 9 (currently playing(and PWning)) but i dont think he is in 10 and up
55 Agnostic Minstrel
"If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?"
Edyukated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:28 PM   #30
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Oh he's in 10 alright. He's in late late later in the game when you get into the air ship (go figure)

Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 PM   #31
Justin69002003

Send a message via Yahoo to Justin69002003
Default Spoiler,spoiler.

Yep, hes Yuna's uncle. Not realy the same person, but he has the saem name.
Justin69002003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 06:13 AM   #32
Vidden
Banned User

Is anyone here playing FFX2? If so, what do you think about it so far?
Vidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:20 AM   #33
Kerryn

Hate to break this to you but Cid has been in every FF game to date, including the un-numbered Final Fanasty Tactics and a number of other games including Secret of Mana and Sword of Mana.

Over in Europe what you're referring to as MQ was released as Mystic Quest Legend, but was numbered 2 over in America. There is a Japanese version never ported to other languages referred to as II and also contains a Cid.

A poster in 3rd District - Kindgom Hearts says "Hello Cid" and a computer terminal in Chronos Trigger has the letters C I D showing on the screen as you approach it. It is believed that Cid is the name of a deceased relative of Shinji Hashimoto.

In VII hes the pilot, VIII the headmaster, IX the Mayor turned into a critter and X and X-2 Yuna's Uncle.

Biggs and Wedge have had various showings since the very first Final Fantasy skipping only a few but the chances are their are references we didn't spot.

Every main character in every game to date has been named after a function of the weather, in various languages. ( Zidane is either Indonesian or Polynesian for tempest...I can't remember but it's definately somethingesian. )

And ...if you look very carefully at Finaly Fantasy VIII you will spot that the name of the main protagonist is Squall Leonheart which clearly has the letters N E and O, which means he is a previous "one" .

Shit, wrong thread.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #34
Zelgadis

FFX2...

As a lot of other people have said, you could call it Pretty Dress Up Princess. Or as Rubenn calls it, Charle's Angels. I call it GIRL SQUAD! I don't know if I can play the game anymore after getting to just the middle of chapter 2. The dialogue and what not is just too air headed 14 year old girlish for me to digest properly. And then the rival enemy person... belch... blech... ich... how they interact with each other...

Battles can get a little hard even at the beginning of the game. They set you up with Iron Men and Behemoths right from the get go, but they're weakened down just for you then.

Personally, I haven't seen Charle's Angels before, though.

And Kerryn, interesting concept on character names you have there! Cid, the character from FF7, certainly is in Kingdom Hearts. You'll have to tell me where he is in FF1, FFMQ, and Legends/Adventures/SOM/Tactics games. I know that in Secret of Evermore you can find three or four FF6 character heads poking out in the arena of the second world, and Cecil in the third world

Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #35
Mendeus
Un-registered User

Send a message via AIM to Mendeus Send a message via Yahoo to Mendeus
Cid wasn't in Secret of mana..
Mendeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #36
Irulan Dunedancer

Hate to break it to ya Quichon, Sonic the Hedgehog was SEGA, not Sony.
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
"Don't say I'm out of touch/ With this rampant chaos - your reality/ I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge/ The nightmare I built my own world to escape"
Irulan Dunedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 AM   #37
Logical

I beat tired ass mario brothers in under 6 minutes. you all envy me.

... and now ... Deep Thoughts by Logical Entity:
Originally Posted by Cerden
I am sick of looking at that mutiny sig crap! Post something funnier and fresh!
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:40 AM   #38
Slayne

Send a message via AIM to Slayne
Perhaps I'm not understanding something Kerryn, but our Mystic Quest, was simply called Mystic Quest. FF2(IV) was entirely something else.

Or are you saying that the Japanese FF2 was our MQ?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:23 PM   #39
Vidden
Banned User

Hey does anyone have a link to the guy who beat Mega Man 2 in under 20 mins?
Vidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:29 PM   #40
Quichon

Hate to break this to you but Cid has been in every FF game to date, including the un-numbered Final Fanasty Tactics and a number of other games including Secret of Mana and Sword of Mana.

Over in Europe what you're referring to as MQ was released as Mystic Quest Legend, but was numbered 2 over in America. There is a Japanese version never ported to other languages referred to as II and also contains a Cid.

A poster in 3rd District - Kindgom Hearts says "Hello Cid" and a computer terminal in Chronos Trigger has the letters C I D showing on the screen as you approach it. It is believed that Cid is the name of a deceased relative of Shinji Hashimoto.

In VII hes the pilot, VIII the headmaster, IX the Mayor turned into a critter and X and X-2 Yuna's Uncle.

Biggs and Wedge have had various showings since the very first Final Fantasy skipping only a few but the chances are their are references we didn't spot.

Every main character in every game to date has been named after a function of the weather, in various languages. ( Zidane is either Indonesian or Polynesian for tempest...I can't remember but it's definately somethingesian. )

And ...if you look very carefully at Finaly Fantasy VIII you will spot that the name of the main protagonist is Squall Leonheart which clearly has the letters N E and O, which means he is a previous "one" .
Cid was *NOT* in the original FF. Nor was he in the second one, nor in MQ. He DID appear in FF II (IV by jap numerology) and later.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was *NOT* number two ANYWHERE. Final Fantasy II released in the US on the SNES was actually number IV. The original FF II was recently released in Final Fantasy:Origins on the PS. Mystic Quest was number 3 in jap numbering but it was referred to as Final Fantasy:American since the american stereotype in japan is a bunch of really stupid people who need to have everything explained to them and don't have the intellect to beat a 'real' game. That is also one of the reasons why FF:MQ is such a boring game, also why it had the LEAST number of sales in the US of any of the FF games in the US.

Biggs and Wedge never showed in the original Final Fantasy. You had four characters, and your choices were Warrior, Thief, Martial Artist, red mage, white mage, and black mage. You got to name them. No where in the entire game is anyone named Biggs or Wedge. Nor were they in the jap II, nor in MQ, nor in V.

Cid was not in either Secret of Mana nor Legend (not sword) of Mana.

Swifttail of 60 seasons
Quichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:35 PM   #41
Irulan Dunedancer

Sword of Mana is the unreleased (outside of Japan, anyways) sequel to Secret of Mana. Legend of Mana actually comes after Sword.
46 Ranger (semi-retired)
"Don't say I'm out of touch/ With this rampant chaos - your reality/ I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge/ The nightmare I built my own world to escape"
Irulan Dunedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:10 PM   #42
Qumaden

Send a message via AIM to Qumaden
Sorry Logical, but our princess is in another castle.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #43
Zelgadis

I, uh... Sword of Mana is the remake of Final Fantasy Adventure, which is a part off of the Secret of Mana series, I remember it! ><

In Sword of Mana you get completely revamped graphics and a choice to take the path of the boy or girl heros. I saw the whole IGN stuff and everything!

Old 12-04-2003, 05:03 PM   #44
Zelgadis

By the way, is the movie supposed to stop at the middle of stage 8-2?

Old 12-04-2003, 08:18 PM   #45
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
I remember playing through the original FF some months ago, and I vaguely remember something about an NPC with the name of Cid... but it was 4am and I could be wrong.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:52 AM   #46
Kerryn

Slayne, my mistake I thought FFII was MQ over there. However there is a FFII released in Japan that never saw European or American shelves. Gets very complicated.

Quichon, I cannot prove these things to you, and I'm not sure I have the time either. But www.square-enix-europe.com/
had an article by the developers called the origins of Final Fantasy. However searching for Origins Final Fantasy throws up 32,000 pages about the box set of I & II called...Origins.

It clearly lists CID as being in every Final Fantasy licensed product to date in one form or another. In places where they aren't main characters or even reconisable they are one line NPCs.

In FF1 he's a merchant, and in Secret of Mana he's one of the temple guardians I think. Long time since I played it. In Tactics theres a body on the ground in one of the fights. Clicking on him gets you an "Urgh" then he dies, his name is Cid.

In FF1 there's no character for Biggs and Wedge but you will fight Biggs and Wedge monsters.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:44 AM   #47
Xiqz

Default Biggs and Wedge

biggs and wedge... both pilots in star wars yes?

biggs being someone luke knows and refers to early on in A New Hope
and also who you play as in...that N64 ? game

Wedge Antilles one of the few survivors of the battle at yavin IV and later to command the rogue squadron, and have many of his own adventures parallel to the main characters of most of the star wars novels.
my pansy crap

"...i fingered it out..." -Kogur tha Ogre

Annastasya
85 High Priestess
Servant of Norrath
MYSPACE
Xiqz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:48 AM   #48
Islington

Final Fantasy X-2 is decent. It's far from being the best FF but it's far from being the worst either (Hail, Final Fantasy VIII). It's VERY fanservice oriented (sometimes I think that a characters strength is inversly proportional to the amount of clothing that they are wearing) and it's downright silly in a lot of areas. However, to me, the worst part of FFX-2 is the music. The original FF music person, Nobuo Uematsu didn't do the music for X-2 and it really shows in a series that, historically, has amazing music.

Anyway, despite all of that, it's still a good game. There is a story there if you look past some of the sillyness. And it's very neat being able to go back and visit all of the places you went to in FFX. There is a TON of stuff to do and there's no real sense of urgency like in X.

One of the big marketing ploys with X-2 is the multiple endings. I've read that it's possible to get the best ending on the first pass through but the only way to do so on your own would be to follow a Guide. If you're like me, you don't want all the spoilers the first time through so 99% of the people playing it won't get the best ending on the first pass. On the second pass through, you're almost guaranteed to get the Perfect 100% completion ending since you start the game at the same percent that you ended last time (so if you beat the final boss sequence with a 70% completion you'll start over at 70% and redoing events will still add to your total making it very easy to hit 100%). And I thought the final boss sequence was pathetically easy (in my opinion the easiest of all last bosses in the series, I beat the whole sequence on my first try which was a first for me and FF games since it normally takes a try or two).

Anyway, that's my thoughts on FFX-2. Good game. Not a great game but very good (and it's miles better than FFVIII).
Islington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 AM   #49
Uncle Gorndax

Default FF original

In the very first FF for nintendo there was no one with the actual name CID. However, I always thought (after playing other FFs) that CID was that sleeping kid that mumbled to you about where to get the Airship.

Looking back on it, FF had a lot of content for a nintendo game.

Gorn
Uncle Gorndax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #50
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
The original Final Fantasy was teh r0xx0rz! I got it when I was really young, and could only beat it with my Game Genie. Then I got good enough to play without, but it's still a tough game. And fun! Got me into the RPG genre
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote