Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #51
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I wonder, if you clowns get your forced full medical disclosure, how you'll enjoy paying triple the average insurance premiums because of a family history issue. Or being passed on for a big promotion in your early 50s because your medical data shows a strong likelihood of you keeling over in the next 5 years.

What you propose is a phenomenally bad idea. And it wouldn't do much at all to stop the spread of STDs because you naively assume that everyone will both know and use this publicly available data.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:47 AM   #52
Rheaton

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
I wonder, if you clowns get your forced full medical disclosure, how you'll enjoy paying triple the average insurance premiums because of a family history issue. Or being passed on for a big promotion in your early 50s because your medical data shows a strong likelihood of you keeling over in the next 5 years.

What you propose is a phenomenally bad idea. And it wouldn't do much at all to stop the spread of STDs because you naively assume that everyone will both know and use this publicly available data.
Ahh.. the almight dollar < then life and safety.

By a show of hands, who here is in favor of registering firearms? Why? We have had how many innocent people killed by the spreading of AIDS? Well, the silver linning is that people havnt had to pay more of insurance and their privacy has been protected.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #53
Heretic

What are you talking about?
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #54
Gauche

Rheaton: Okay, a little vague but a fair reply to start. I'll let the creation / evolution aspect slide for now, since we've been beating that topic to death for a while.

I agree with your basic concept that taking an action without considering the wider consequences can have more negative effects than the positive ones you intended. Unfortunately, the same problem happens in the "good works" column as in the "science" column. Witness attempts to feed or keep alive children in 3rd world countries: while each individual effort is a good thing, the cumulative effect can lead to a population explosion and overstress a developing country.

Or sadly, Mother Theresa's organization, which I had always thought to be a great attempt to bring healing to the sick, but instead really mostly brought small comforts to the dying. This widespread misinformation drew funds away from more active charities. Also her vocal opposition to birth control in India, a country with a billion people, seemed a bit too focused on a single goal - abortion is one thing, but birth control? But the point isn't to bash religious groups; there's no end of technology that has negative consequences as well as good results.

On the AIDS issue and prevention, it certainly would be nice if people had the self control to get tested and limit their sexual behavior. History if not a look around you shows that to be a pipe dream, however. Even if we eliminated it in America, we'd still have to deal with all the carriers outside the U.S. You might just as easily spend the money to research a condom more men would use and have as good a chance of it leading to the elimination of HIV.
Gauche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:48 PM   #55
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Heretic
What are you talking about?
Your absurd proposal that people who suffer from AIDS be forced by law to disclose their status- essentially to wear a scarlet "A".

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your desires (if so I apologize), but it sounds like you're in favor of publicly available medical records- which brings forth the issues I ranted about (and many more) and is an all around retarded idea.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:27 PM   #56
Heretic

Your absurd proposal that people who suffer from AIDS be forced by law to disclose their status- essentially to wear a scarlet "A".
OMG, a letter! Seriously though, I consider anyone with AIDS that has sex with someone and doesn't tell them their condition to be attempted murder. I see this is a different situation than public medical records as a whole.
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Old 12-04-2004, 08:27 AM   #57
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

OMG, a letter! Seriously though, I consider anyone with AIDS that has sex with someone and doesn't tell them their condition to be attempted murder. I see this is a different situation than public medical records as a whole.
I don't know that it's attempted murder, but it's certainly felony criminal negligence in some form.

So what are you advocating though? That all HIV positive individuals be forced to disclose their status in general or strictly to sexual partners under penalty of law? I'm all in favor of the latter, but the former is a horrible idea that carries with it all the dirty implications I ranted about before.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:02 AM   #58
Heretic

So what are you advocating though? That all HIV positive individuals be forced to disclose their status in general or strictly to sexual partners under penalty of law? I'm all in favor of the latter, but the former is a horrible idea that carries with it all the dirty implications I ranted about before.
The latter should definitely be enforced. I don't really understand your rant towards the former though, if it were only for the infectious disease. I wasn't advocating a complete disclosure of medical records to the general public.

Heretic

Last edited by Heretic; 12-04-2004 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:06 AM   #59
Heretic

What I was meaning is that we should keep a proactive stance when someone is found to be infected. They should immediately be forced to fill out a form specifiying their former partners and/or drug syringe buddies so that they can be notified and tested.

By your earlier post, I thought you were advocating that people that were infected should remain anonymous, even to partners.

Heretic

Last edited by Heretic; 12-04-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #60
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

What I was meaning is that we should keep a proactive stance when someone is found to be infected. They should immediately be forced to fill out a form specifiying their former partners and/or drug syringe buddies so that they can be notified and tested.

By your earlier post, I thought you were advocating that people that were infected should remain anonymous, even to partners.
No- I agree it's criminally negligent for someone who knows he/she is HIV positive to have sex with others and not notify them. I do not, however, think that they should have to register with some central agency like a child molester. They should have as much right to privacy (barring their responsibility to inform sexual partners beforehand) as anyone regarding their medical history.