Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #101
Rheaton

Originally Posted by Eglath Astaldo

Seriously, is that an Oklahoma education or drugs writing that passage?
I spose your right.. I mean, it was far more interesting to have a close game and only win by 5 points. They could have scored anytime they wanted.. it was.. uh.. sportsmanship.. yeah, thats it. I mean, why go for 6 when you can get 3? My bad.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:13 PM   #102
Deadscale

Looks like Cal screwed themselves over more than the polls then?

--didn't watch the game, but from I'm getting here, making it seem like USC was toying with UCLA.
---or so they say
--- ----- - - ---------wtf was I thinking =P, sleep is good

Last edited by Deadscale; 12-06-2004 at 09:00 PM. Reason: haha, nm
Deadscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #103
Eglath Astaldo

Send a message via ICQ to Eglath Astaldo
No...the system screwed them.

And Rheat, I was talking about the form, not the content of your paragraph....it was the most confusing and poorly written piece of trash ever.
Eglath Astaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:14 PM   #104
Eglath Astaldo

Another awesome article on the BCS mess.

ESPN-Pat Forde

Originally Posted by Forde
California, your reward for going 10-1 and pushing No. 1 USC to within nine yards of its life on the Trojans' home field is to lose the Rose Bowl to Texas. Yes, the team that was shut out in Dallas by Oklahoma. If life were fair, the team that maximized its talent would have gotten the spot, instead of the team whose coach politicked for BCS inclusion on national TV. This just in: Life isn't fair. The Checkers speech got Mack Brown to Pasadena.
(Since Cal's mortal sin was beating bowl-bound Southern Mississippi by only 10 in Hattiesburg, perhaps we should compare that with what Texas did in its last road game. The Longhorns beat a 4-7 Kansas team by the hair on Bevo's chin, requiring a questionable interference call on the Jayhawks and a last-minute touchdown to pull it out.)
Forget trying to manufacture a title game. Send the teams to their traditional bowls and let the voters sort it out. (Sorry, coaches, but in this bowl system your final Top 25 ballots will be public.) If a consortium of computer rankings wants to award its own title, that's fine -- just leave them out of the king-making process
And heres the best thing ever, I don't see a problem with this (the old system):
Let's have Auburn play in the Sugar Bowl against, say, California. Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl against Utah. USC in the Rose Bowl against Michigan. Virginia Tech can play Texas in the Orange Bowl for sun.

Then play them all on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day -- none of this drip-drip-drip of games over a course of four days -- and let the chips fall where they may.

That way, all three still have a chance at a national title in the polls. Auburn's season still would matter; it could finish No. 1 if both the Trojans and Sooners lose. Even Utah conceivably could wind up saying "We're No. 1!" if it beat Oklahoma and the other two unbeatens were to lose.

And that way, more than one bowl means something. As it stands now, we have the BCS championship bowl and a 27-game undercard of diminished importance. That's why New Year's Day is dullsville now, packing nowhere near the punch it once did.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #105
Deadscale

Road games are generally supposed to be tougher (home crowd advantage for other team and other things), meaning you have a chance of doing worse, cool, np.

Home games on the other hand are supposed to be easier because home field advantage, the fans, etc.

Then what's up with the 28-27 win against Oregon with home field advantage? Oregon, an unranked team, finished 5-6.

Yes, the bowl games will more than likely be somewhere else, on the road. But if they can barely win in a home field atmosphere?

They should have just said fuck Michigan and let Texas and California duke it out.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:30 AM   #106
Eglath Astaldo

Whats up w/ Texas' 22-20 win over Arkansas who finished 5-6?
Whats up w/ Texas' 28-20 win over Misszou who finished 5-6?
Whats up w/ Texas' 27-23 win over Kansas who finished 4-7?
Texas lost to Oklahoma by 12 (at home) ouch.

Cal's only close games were:
Whats up w/ Cal's 28-27 win over Oregon who finished 5-6?
When if you want to stretch to 2 possetions (notice all yours listed are 1 score games)
Whats up w/ Cal's 26-16 win over S. Miss who finished 6-5 and is going to the New Orleans Bowl.
Cal lost to USC by 6 points (away, and by half the score) ouch

Cal had ONE 1 possetion close game win as opposed to Texas' three versus crap ass teams. Cal had one loss. Texas Had one loss. Texas' was at a *neutral* kinda field. Cal's was away. Cal lost by half the score Texas did. Cal lost against the #1, Tex. against the #2.

Texas' average margin of victory was 18.6 pts (not bad). Cal's average margin of victory is 23.9 pts.

Texas has posted 1 shutout (against a Sun Belt team) and been shutout once. Cal has posted 2 shutouts (both Pac 10, one against a Top 25), and never been shutout.

Last edited by Eglath Astaldo; 12-07-2004 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Accuracy and Spelling...dam Y key
Old 12-07-2004, 04:19 AM   #107
Rheaton

Technically, the Texas / OU game is 'neutral' .. half and half tickets.. But yeah.. Ouch for Texass

Cal. getting "screwed" out of the Rose Bowl is nothing more then some coveted, imagined West Coast "right" for a 'good but not the best' PAC team. Again.. too frick'n bad. Those were the terms and conditions of the BCS.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
Old 12-07-2004, 04:48 AM   #108
Deadscale

I only listed one score, as the quote only listed one =P

Oklahoma is not a home game, game is played in Dallas.
Missouri win was 8pts!
Kansas and Arkansas were away games. If you can win away, that is all that matters. (now that will be another thing, maybe you think road games should be the biggest blow out)

That Texas v North Texas shutout you mentioned, 65-0, North Texas is heading towards a bowl game, vs, Southern Miss =P

--p.s. Since we're really scrutinizing each win and loss, might as well include other stuff

Texas cheerleaders can beat up California cheerleaders and Bevo can whoop on the California mascot, unless..they have a real one, then it might be close =P

Last edited by Deadscale; 12-07-2004 at 04:56 AM.
Deadscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:57 AM   #109
Rheaton

Ive watched Cal play three games this year and Ive also watched Texas play about 4. Again, Cal. has better caoching and play-calling, but it my opinion that Cal. could not hang with Texas for four quarters.. Texas is as strong and able with 2 mins to go as they are at the start of the game. .. they just do not wear out.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #110
Eglath Astaldo

Originally Posted by Deadscale
I only listed one score, as the quote only listed one =P
Ya, cause Cal only had one win within 1 possesion. That as my point, Tex. had 3.

Oklahoma is not a home game, game is played in Dallas.
Fair enough, but its not a road game either.

Missouri win was 8pts!
8 points is a touchdown and conversion. AKA 1 possetion, why it was included.

Kansas and Arkansas were away games. If you can win away, that is all that matters. (now that will be another thing, maybe you think road games should be the biggest blow out)
They were still one possetion wins over crappy teams. S. Miss (the reason Cal lost out basically) was a two possetion win on the road.....

That Texas v North Texas shutout you mentioned, 65-0, North Texas is heading towards a bowl game, vs, Southern Miss =P
Texas is a Sun Belt team AKA barely Div IA. They lost every single non conference game (even agains IAA Florida Atlantic). S. Miss is in Conference USA, which at least features ranked team Louisville. Their only other non-conference game was against Nebraska whom they beat. Sorry dude, but S. Miss > N. Texas.

As far as me scrutinizing every game, I just thought it was unfair that you mentioned Cal's 1 close game, as opposed to Texas' 3.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #111
Eglath Astaldo

Originally Posted by Rheaton
Ive watched Cal play three games this year and Ive also watched Texas play about 4. Again, Cal. has better caoching and play-calling, but it my opinion that Cal. could not hang with Texas for four quarters.. Texas is as strong and able with 2 mins to go as they are at the start of the game. .. they just do not wear out.
Rheaton this is a pretty funny statement comming from you: the one who always argues that people are biased, that the intangibles don't matter, and that it should all be left to the computers. (I disagree w/ all that, I like intangibles analysis, but its the shit you usually spout.

As far as lasting through the game, Cal has scored 124 4th quarter pts this season and allowed 27 4th quarter points. Texas has scored 69 4th quarter points this season and allowed 50 4th quarter pts. Looks like Cal finished WAY better in both offense and defense. Interesting analysis Rheaton....I'm just letting numbers do the talking.

Last edited by Eglath Astaldo; 12-07-2004 at 12:12 PM. Reason: I typed '5th quarter' hmmm dumb hands
Old 12-07-2004, 03:01 PM   #112
Rheaton

Hey doofus.. I am just pointing out that I feel Texas is a stronger and more physically... or better rather .. team then Cal. from my observations watching them both. The computers have nothing to do with this.

My only backing for the computers is that the computers keep accurate records of teams and makes a viable comparision of them. I support this over "feelings" and emotions when comparing one team to another.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:35 PM   #113
Eglath Astaldo

I know you do, I was pointing out that you usually do and giving an evidence of the kind of statistic and record that could be used to compare Cal vs. Tex in terms of 4th quarter performance instead of just your observation that they "look better".
The statistics clearly show that Cal is a better 4th quarter team, which having played football, is usually a clear indication of conditioning and endurance.