Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Default Linksys Wireless-G issues

So my wife calls me at work today complaining that the internet at home is kaput. I try, in vain, to coach her through the normal steps- power cycling the modem, router, restarting the computer etc. No luck. I get home and try the same sorts of things and still no luck. The modem is fine- I can plug in directly through the modem and the internet is working (thus my ability to post this), but the router seems borked somehow. I can access the router's admin panel via its IP address, so the line from my computer to the router is functioning, but when I check the status tab and try to release/renew DHCP, I am left with nothing but 0.0.0.0 for everything.

Ideas? Could just be time for a new router, but if I'm just missing something basic I'd rather save the $$$. It's a WRT54GS that's a few years old now, but never had any prior issues.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Davek
Squawk Box

I don't use Linksys myself but most home routers have a physical reset switch to reset back to factory default. Could try that and set it back up. Maybe save off the config first before doing that.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

That's wierd - I literally just finished beating up my Linksys WTR54G & cable modem since they've been acting up for the past few days. I got mine to work by reseting them both a few times and going through the Linksys IP setup (http://192.168.1.1) and reseting / redoing it. But sounds like you've already tried it.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Yeah, have tried resetting to factory defaults, mashing the release/renew buttons and nothing seems to be working. It's just so weird that I can get to the admin screens fine but can't get any connection to the intrawebs
Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
solicia

Have you tried to assign static IP addresses to the computer with static DNS settings? You might try broadcasting on another channel. We have had to go to 5.8ghz for our wireless cameras as it was causing a lot of disruption to local wireless networks in the 2.4ghz range. Other than that I don't have any ideas.
On a side not we just got back from Sonic, they are giving away root beer floats until midnight here!!!
solicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Unfortunately I'm having the issue even when plugging straight into the router- at this point I'm not worried about wireless issues, but a router that simply isn't passing the internet through. The line from the modem is good, and the line between the router and NIC is good, it's what happens between that seems to be hosed.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Karthanon

I had the same problem with a Dlink router at my parents-in-law house - I could reach the admin webserver fine on port 80, and although it reported that it was connected to the cable modem would never get an IP from it.

I ended up reflashing it with its router firmware - after that, it started working agian.

If it's a WRT54GS and its older, you might want to check out Tomato or DD-WRT, third party firmware which works on a bunch of different Linksys (and other) models - try the default Linksys firmware first, though.

Good luck.
Karthanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Thanks- I'll try that after work, hadn't messed with the firmware yet.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Michael Cumberlan

I had two of those babies go bad on me ... just the wireless part, not the wired part. Eventually went to a D-link router.
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #10
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Well, tried again with updated firmware and still no good. It just makes no sense to me why the line in is good (as proven by my ability to plug directly into the modem and get the internet) and the line out is good (as proven by my ability to log into the admin panel to tinker), but the router can't see the internet to convey it on to computers connected through it.

Bought a new one last night that, Newegg willing, will be here by Monday or so. I did opt for linksys again, mostly due to familiarity, though this will be the 3rd wireless router in ~5 years. Not really a great track record I suppose.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Davek
Squawk Box

Could just be a bad WAN port. Years ago I tried buying a Linksys router from a store and I had to return 3 of em for bad WAN ports before I decided to try a D-Link instead. Never had a problem with D-Link and have stuck with them ever since.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Have you checked...
Network Connections --> a) LAN or Hi-Speed Internet connected --> Properties, --> Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) --> Properties
b)Internet Gateway (LAN on router) connected --> Properties

Sometimes I've had to check the Gateway address, the netmask, give Properties the dns1 +dns2, and check that my IP address is in the modem/router network address range. Can also try a traceroute, or ping check ..see if the ip gets reached. If you can ping the gateway ip but not connect then your network admin settings are hiding your comp. Check open ports, busy ports, look for any running process with an active line out, above all see if the config is dynamic dhcp or static setting and if it has set an network address 'range' (chances are your ip is outside the addressing 'range'). I don't the intricacies of data comms routing but sometimes the dot number address on my comp ranges from like 10.1.0.99 to maybe 10.1.1.2 and firewalls the local box side with a visible address range outside the addressable network (or vice versa). I can't tell wtf is going on but it goes on like that 4eva, you're about to put the router out of its misery, when of a sudden a sunray parts the ceiling and shines a light on the modem connection jacks... at the back.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 06-07-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:21 AM   #13
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
My linskys I have is setup from modem to router then to computer. My problem I had was that when I unplugged the router, or if it lost power, when I rebooted it would knock the host off of my IP everytime. Luckily my dad is a tech for the cable company and has access to that stuff via his computer, and he just reset my ip etc.

Might try giving your internet a call because that is what it sounds like it is doing.

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Michael Cumberlan

Hmmm ... reminded me of a problem I had with linksys ... had a power outage ... when everything came up, router prevented modem from logging in to the internet. finally had to power off router, power off modem, then power on modem, wait to it to sync up, acquire IP addresses, and only THEN did I power up the router ... very weird ...
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

So, interesting, if not infuriating resolution to this. I got my very sexy new Linksys today (glossy black, internal antenna array, so no goofy looking antennas- very nice little product, at face value anyway) and try things out....same issue. W...T...F.... I call up my ISP and go through the motions (since apparently they can't take you at your word that you've already power-cycled the modem etc). In a bonehead move, I briefly forget that we're back on VOIP (through Metrocast, used to have it through Vonage which we loved) and in the course of power-cycling the modem, nuke my phone call. Infuriated, I say "fuck that guy" and go back into DIY IT support mode. Again, I can get connection directly through the modem, but not through the router. Then I try moving the router into the utility room where the modem is and connecting through a short piece of ethernet cable...suddenly, success...hrmmmm....

<lightbulb>

About a week ago I noticed one or both of the dogs had pulled some of the ethernet cord out of the molding (we have it running from the utility room into my office, then just under the molding and door frame around a door to where my desk is). Turns out they managed to fray enough wires to get signal to a single PC, but not enough to convince the router that it was a legit connection- it wasn't until I was really playing around with things today that I noticed the damage they'd done to the wire itself.. Now I'm stuck with wireless until I buy some new wires and learn how to crimp (/shoutout DD).

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Off to strangle my dogs...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Heh...

Screw you hippy!

I hope your dogs have aquired a taste for plenum!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote