Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Default Mixing sata and ide hdd's

There's some risk associated with m/b bus driver crosstalk between device controllers, when combining both a SATA and an IDE drive inside the box from what I can tell recently on the matter of XP Stop Error 0x0000008E. ATM my comp drops loading the XP Desktop environment during launch, then happily BSOD's like a bipolar virgin with cold feet. I get to see my desktop background wallpaper load before the curtains are drawn. It all began 2 days ago, when a fairly new (like 8-10 months old) P.S. started smoking. I had a better one ready and waiting in my cupboard anyway (this time) so I swapped 'em. Last 2 years I have burned around 3 maybe 4 different P.S.. The latest one I added UPS for spikes 'n shit as well. Died like the rest (well, lately the tendency has been to smoke first), even with UPS.

Y'know, another MS (WinXP) issue is boot flagging other, nicer hdd's even when there's only files in 'em. No OS. This irritating feature is especially likely to happen when you install a new device. For instance, installing something completely not m/b related ..like a new PS. That nifty XP maneuver played havoc with my weekend. It raised the level of complication for a simple problem geometrically. But discovering it is not as much fun as the XP installation CD Repair Console it couldn't save itself from an empty Directory let alone find a CAB file.

The simple way to get back into Windows turned out to be just disconnecting the SATA drives. However, I still can't get into Windows with them running again although I can get into Ubuntu (which doesn't browse the NTFS and FAT32 partitions now). I have SP3 burned onto CD, I re-installed it and to be safe I am downloading the newest nvidia graphics driver, System Rescue, and Ubuntu 9.04-iso. Nothing inside the XP environment is reporting a problem from Safe Mode.

XP first reported HAL.DLL was corrupt or missing, found new hardware, installed it without a driver then reported a video controller with a problem (no driver installed). My graphics environment is squirrely, have to reset comp at power on to get a handshake with my monitor. The motherboard is getting old, maybe it has had its time I don't know. So really, there are 2 questions to ask and both also present minor permission problems with files or drives.

I get network in Safe Mode but I can't use Update, and some stuff is reporting Permission issues like some other Administrator account is running my fully blown Admin settings for the current Admin logon (well I can't install some stuff coz of this weird permissions query). Where do you think the problem is: M/B, a Controller/driver, or XP?

AV Sophos complete system scan (check)
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Full Scan (check - deleted quaratine object Trojan Fake.Alert)
Reg1stAid Platinum - housekeeping (check)
Ad-Aware Anniversary Ed.n - housekeeping (check)
De-Fragged drives (check)
Disk checked drives (check)

Board= ASUS P5LD2-VM with bios ver. 1303
2Gb SDRAM onboard
MSI 8800GT 512Mb ram graphics card
2.8Ghz P4 duocore thingummy
550W Thermaltake P.S currently installed
x2 SATA 320Gb hdd (one split into 2 partitions for ntfs and fat32, other is Linux x2 Primary Ext3 part, ReiserFS Home, and a Swap part.)
x1 60Gb ide hdd (Active boot - XP)
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 05-18-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
GraemeFaelban

Send a message via AIM to GraemeFaelban
Been running mine with both a SATA and IDE drive since I built it. The SATA is my boot drive for WinXP. I've had zero issues with it. I use a dual core AMD processor in mine.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

Misty, it sounds like you might have loosened up your RAM in their sockets while swapping out your PSU. Pull your RAM and reseat it and see if that doesn't fix your problem. It could also be that you might have a bad memory module caused by the power spike(s).
Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Ogmuk
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
Misty, it sounds like you might have loosened up your RAM in their sockets while swapping out your PSU. Pull your RAM and reseat it and see if that doesn't fix your problem. It could also be that you might have a bad memory module caused by the power spike(s).
This is what I was going to suggest too. I had the weirdest things happen in Windows because of defective RAM. I suggest running Memtest86 for a few hours to make sure it's not the memory causing these errors.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Roger that. Thanks for your interest, everyone.

Latest:
I burned 9.04 Ubuntu and SystemRescue onto cd's last night. Can't update my graphics driver now. XP bsod's even loading Safe Mode atm. But Ubuntu is running solid,apart from lousy config settings and dodgy user permissions.

The problem doesn't present like a h/w issue as far as Linux is concerned. The comp appears fine. What is a problem however does behave like choppy voltage regulation, XP device discretion/arbitration or h/w controller bug and rogue admin permissions. I don't know how to make it easier to explain - I am mystified. But I will definitely run memtest86 from Grub selector screen and report back.

I can't locate shit to fix Ubuntu configs I don't know where whatever has been screwed with lives even if I knew the proper setting for it. General stuff is still sorta working, it is different for different user accounts and all the hardware in my box is the same shit in the box when I run XP.

Graeme, I can't help thinking sata and ide don't mix 100% in XP. Reminding myself XP came before sata existed . If my m/b VxDD storage controller unravels purely over the box components not jelling within tolerable system cycles I think it leaves drives mounted unclean at reboot. XP disk checks aren't catching driver issues the only way I know shit is up is when XP doesn't run. The m/b VxDD sata storage controller is installed via select F6 option at loading XP installation CD, loading a FDD with the m/b sata contoller on it then installs into XP. I have 'fixed' the same failures only to have the bug recur further down the line, I'm at a loss to locate a definite cause. The longer it continues the more keeping XP gets harder to justify. If any of this comes back directly to the OS I'll move on to Vista.

Linux will be much more attractive when the average schmoe can find HOWTO reference material info collected in one viewer, like Explorer. Sorted, graphically searchable, printable, and up/down back/forward navigable in a gui console without the confusion of reams of scrolled text. Better even in printed hardcopy. Ubuntu is very pretty now. It's just not exactly self-explanatory, for instance I can't remember how I set up Sound in Ubuntu. I got it working the first time I installed linux. Now its like curtains are drawn over everything and I can't find anything about stuff. I don't know what I have to do to configure the Windows emulator. I don't know what I don't know or how to enquire on its health. But around one in 10 WoW players I've grouped with were running WoW inside Linux through the Wine environment, so somebody knows.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 05-19-2009, 04:51 AM   #6
solicia

we use a mixture of linux mint, ubuntu, debian, fedora, opensuse, and pc-bsd now. But for Wine its all pretty much the same, menu-wine-configure wine-audio tab. On winehq.org there are several write ups just search their application database for WOW. We play eq and so do our kids, all from Linux.
I don't have a lot of experience with XP, but we mix SATA, IDE, and SCSI drives quite a bit depending on specs we are given from customers on upgrading their equipment, without a problem of course these are Linux based systems. We have completely quit supporting Windows based systems.
solicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Okay I nuked a file in System32 folder called WdReg.exe, was locked and unremovable in Add/Remove Program, was in Device Manager as Jungo --> WinDriver... Add/Remove Prog info dubbed it WinDriver 9.0.0 USB <something) and to cut a long story short it belonged to no-f'ing-thing I could think of and I'd sure as hell remember a crazed driver installing itself with a device category of "Jungo" in Device Manager. Only clue is perhaps a freeware app called Epim (personal organiser that can run from a USB ram stick) which in that case may not be an intentional attack. Just lousy code.

How I found out all of its manifested forms? Still not sure that I have.

Only when all 3 pieces of the puzzle fitted together was I sure something was up with the world. To start this process, I had again disconnected sata hdd's and this time did a WinXP "install Windows --> Repair existing installation". Completed installation with all my desktop intact and got back into windows again for maybe the first time in 72 hours.

Add/Remove Program item "WinDriver 9.0.0.0 USB xxx" then would popup a ms-dos box with a Panel label reading as C:\Windows\System32\WdReg.exe and it refused to uninstall: a) because an application was running (Add/Remove Program hehe ..cute ). It wouldn't even show that much info under XP SP3 I'd tried to remove it before and got nothing.

With that information I used spamassassin in Malwarebytes "anti-Malware" app to kill the locked exe and "Jungo" -->windriver uninstalled from Device Manager.

Case closed, I hope. Somebody tell me the culprit is gunna get caught. I'm mystified how the file got installed into my comp.

Thanks everyone, I'll report back if its a flash-in-the-pan and the war aint over yada yada yada.

And thanks, Sol.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Misty
Do Not Disturb

System is still stable. Only thing is now the monitor doesn't get strobed at power on unless the comp reset button is pressed. After that its fine every re-start. If I power off the comp and start it again I have to press reset to kick the monitor awake.

Is that fixable?
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 05-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
solicia

Don't know, but it might be the suspend settings on the motherboard. We disable these and allow the OS to determine what goes to sleep and what doesn't.
Glad to hear you got it worked out, they can be so fun at times.......
solicia is offline   Reply With Quote