Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
furo

Default Slow Startups?

So my pc crashed yesterday and I went and bought an HP 8330:

AMD 9500 quadcore processor
3GB RAM
Nvidia geforce 8500
Windows Vista Home Premium

So ... is it typical for a PC like this to experience really slow startups?

I'm talking 5+ minutes from the time I hit "restart" until I get back to the desktop.. and I've restarted about 4 times now to install stuff like virus protection, etc.

Is this due to Vista? This is my first experience with Vista btw

I ask because my last PC had an AMD athlon 64 and it rocked ... even at 4yrs old it shut down and restarted faster than the PC I just bought last night!
furo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Davek
Squawk Box

Do a google search on optimizing Vista. There's a lot of crap they load that you don't need....but yeah, it's a system hog akin to WinME.

Also unload the crap that HP bundles on the system.

Burn the HP partition off to DVD since if anything goes wrong, that partition is your factory system restore. They don't give you the discs anymore, which sucks.

Although 5 min does sound excessive.

I don't have that much experience with Vista either but my partner just bought an HP system 3 weeks ago and the above are some of the things I did pick up.

Also, if you can avoid it, don't do renaming of accounts.

On first initialization I named the admin account "Admin", then started loading my partners stuff from his old system. He didn't like the name so decided to rename it but after a week the fact that everything was still stored in the "users\admin" folder confused him.

So I followed some instructions I found. Rename the account back to admin, create a new account with what he wanted the name, then delete the admin folder and select the option of "keep files".

Big note....that's just a basic option and does not save any application data...even if applications saved files in system folders....such as, oh, I dunno.....Outlook PST files!!!!

So backup that user folder by hand and copy everything....he wound up losing a weeks worth of e-mail.

Now you also get the joy of seeing what periphials need upgrading due to Vista not liking the old stuff. So far he's had to go and buy a new webcam and printer. I'm just happy that I was finally able to get the wireless NIC to stop crashing the system enough to be able to get drivers that Vista liked.

Vista doesn't crash nicely....XP has much better error trapping.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Misty
Do Not Disturb

From what I've read anecdotally on the nvidia community boards, lots of desktop icons will slow start-up. What sort of housekeeping you do will have some difference . That's defrags, regscans (registry utility apps), cookie scans, disk checks, startup apps (as few as can be). It's a old worn road but everybody's still gotta walk it.

Gotta get rid of all the ad cookies, they collect input info and send it first, for every click you make on a website address. A bunch of them will slow you down considerably. Over time net surfers learn which ones get on their comp from which site, when those clutter your line comms bandwidth you can set a block by name/address (Firefox 'Privacy' tab - 'Exceptions' button). How many extensions and plug-ins you have installed on your browser is going to slow that guy down as well. The more bells and whistles, the more bloated your system gets, and the longer it takes to load your task/app/window while all the stuff on your coat-tails gets busy.

Same old same old.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
furo

I finally found the main issue. It was my external drives. I switched them both off, and the PC now takes about 2min to boot up to the desktop as opposed to 5+ minutes!

I also used Windows Defender to disable a lot of startup programs but not sure if it helped much ... and I switched the performance options to "adjust for best performance" under the system advanced settings. That helped a bit on the regular running of the PC.

It just amazes me and angers me at the same time to know that I have a brand new PC (quadcore AMD with 3 gigs of RAM) being slowed down so damn much by Vista
Old 06-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
solicia

We have received 2 emails for beta testing yet another os from microsoft in the last week. Had to decline, we have completely removed windows from the house and went totally Linux. We finally got over the last hurdle, directx games in Linux with shaders. Vista has a lot of good developments, but unless you can find an nt driver that will work on your older hardware, it is time to upgrade. Glad you figured it out would have never thought of external storage lagging it that much. Were these nas drives or local external drives?
solicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
Ogmuk
Administrator

Even though it looks like you've already fixed the problem, Vista is a lot slower with the start up than XP. As already suggested, there are a lot of tweaks to get it to start up quicker. For XP I use Autopatcher and it works like a charm, since I'm not using Vista anymore at the moment, I don't know whether or not there are tweaks for Vista which improve boot time but you can check it out here:

http://www.autopatcher.com
Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
furo

Originally Posted by solicia View Post
We have received 2 emails for beta testing yet another os from microsoft in the last week. Had to decline, we have completely removed windows from the house and went totally Linux. We finally got over the last hurdle, directx games in Linux with shaders. Vista has a lot of good developments, but unless you can find an nt driver that will work on your older hardware, it is time to upgrade. Glad you figured it out would have never thought of external storage lagging it that much. Were these nas drives or local external drives?
They are local external drives hooked up through USB, one of them being the old hard drive from my Alienware laptop that shit the bed on me. I will never buy Alienware anything, ever again.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Karthanon

Strangely enough, I'm now using Vista and although I'm not as familiar with it as I am with XP, I don't mind it (I had to punch myself a few times before posting that). It helps I didn't have to pay the $600-ish for 2 copies of Vista Ultimate (hooray for MS freebies).

Of course, I went from a single core AthlonXP 3500+ with 2GB RAM to a Intel Q6600 Quad core with 8GB RAM (home build)...leetle different for hardware. I'm sure I would have hated Vista on my old system.

Which Linux distro did you go with, Solicia?
Karthanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
solicia

servers still Fedora, desktops Ubuntu. Still happy with it. Had to set up the desktops to resemble XP for the kids, but they are really liking it.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by furo View Post
I finally found the main issue. It was my external drives. I switched them both off, and the PC now takes about 2min to boot up to the desktop as opposed to 5+ minutes!
Try running a checkdisk on those drives in Vista. Sometimes that helps...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by solicia View Post
servers still Fedora, desktops Ubuntu. Still happy with it. Had to set up the desktops to resemble XP for the kids, but they are really liking it.
If it weren't for the games I play (NWN II, Quake 4, etc...) I'd be on Ubuntu in a heartbeat. I still may go back to a dual boot atmosphere sometime soon...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 06-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Karthanon

Ah - I loaded Ubuntu on my old system and it was fairly peppy - still, I wanted a system that I could still play EQ on (if my primary was busy on something else...) and have a webserver/FTP server on as well, and didn't want to mess aboot with Transgaming for EQ...plus I have to get used to apt.

So I kept WinXP, and run an FTP server under Cygwin, and have Apache2.x for Windows running. Bleh, but it works.
Karthanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
solicia

we are using wine. Tried the transgaming.....wasn't impressed. EQ has been logged in for over a week now on an old system just to see how well it performs. The page rates are better than what I benched on the same machine with windows xp. The graphics are fantistic except for water in the new zones doesn't have that watery effect, its more of a pale color. That is the graphic card though. We successfully installed directx 9.0c, and many others. We are presently running 2 tuner cards on the same machine recording 4 channels, to see if the system will fold. So far its running flawlessly, even without lag. Had some permission issues on eq with zone cashing, had to get the permissions right or the game would crash. So far the games we have played with are starcraft/brudewar, warcraft 3, anarchy online, list goes on. It is performing very well. The machine is an amd athalon xp2500, nforce 2 chipset, nvidia gforce 2 video, with 1 gig of ddr 400 ram. It's an old system from the closet that we thought would be a good testing ground. After it performed so well we changed all desktops over with very good results, we changed the gui to an xp look for the kids to get used to it. As my 12 year old put it when I asked her if she preferred windows or ubuntu, she stated she likes Ubuntu simply because everything just works, and she doesn't have to reboot her system. After this weeks test with the tuners, we are going to be changing our pvr over to Ubuntu as well. The software we have been recording with is from snapstream. Had a bit of a fuss installing .net framework, but after we got it to install correctly, works flawlessly. We have been running fedora on our servers for a few years now, taking down our last windows box this month, which was an isa server.
This is just my results from some limited testing over the last month, so take it for what its worth. Just gave away 20 copies of windows xp pro and a few xp home.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I might have to delve back in to Linux and Wine. I haven't looked at it in a couple years...
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Misty
Do Not Disturb

I just got Ubuntu Hardy Heron LTS (Desktop), I've imported all my XP mozilla bookmarks and the account profile., setup my email installed image browser.. the ubuntu crew has an Ubuntu LiveCD iso image for free download on, there's a Linux Rescue iso out there with some nifty tools and utilities I got that somewhere, and a UnetBootlin win32 (partition manager called vis-parted) that goes in XP and u see at bootup.

Have to say setting up 3 hard disks with 2 OS was ..erm, easy actually! I'm posting from my Ubuntu desktop right now.

Now I still have like XP on its own drive, and a Sata drive with like 200Gb ntfs formatted free space, 2nd partition roughly 105Gb fat32 free space, another Sata drive with Ubuntu on 4 partitions (root, boot, home and the swap space partition). Home partition got a reiserfs fs the other 2 guys are ext3 and Swap is just space.
Okay I got it configured wrong first, and re-install took like 10 minutes with a new partition table, drive formats and grub setup (mostly a file called menu.lst and another called /etc/fstab). The process is faster than getting to the Win XP installation CD Repair Console...
btw for me a "NTLDR is missing" on the bootup, that was the sata ntfs being claimed by XP after I reset mbr all I had to do was unset the boot flag on the ntfs partition and fixmbr with the other 2 disk drives unplugged.. My cross-platform ntfs/fat32 disk doesn't have anything installed in it yet, hence teh NTLDR message, windows got greedy hehe

Was kind of a giveaway in the partition table seeing a boot flag there (fdisk -l command in an ubuntu terminal).

Good luck, its worth it (all teh snoop-around net tools, I gotta get back into my data comms literature now )
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #16
solicia

I don't even keep restore images of our desktop machines anymore. We had a server set up just for this, taking images of each desktop every night. It would keep 10 days worth of images, deleting the oldest as it wrote the newest one. Our hosting servers are still backing up daily, some of them hourly to a remote location. Told my wife, it is almost boring now, the fight to keep the home network working properly was a weekly fight, and now I haven't had to touch one to work on it since we changed over. We have to keep one laptop running windows xp, insurance requires it. It is used for running rslogics 500, 5000, and our insurance carrier requires it because the software is only certified to run on windows, and Allen Bradley will not endorse it on Linux, as they cannot guarantee the way programs will compile when downloaded into the controllers. Glad you got your issues sorted out, and are enjoying it. We have donated to both the wine and ubuntu projects, they are at least saving me the 3500 dollars a year we have been spending for gfi web monitor with kaspersky plugin.