Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
Ouchfull

Default Everquest has detected your client may have crashed?

Hi folks,

I've been getting this:

"Everquest has detected your client may have crashed?"

error message and then box freezes A WHOLE LOT LATELY. Seems random, but when I'm in a LDoN map ... the thing chumps up so often ( like every 5 minutes) that the game is becoming unplayable. I loaded all my latest driver, I deleted and downloaded eqclient.ini, I delted and downloaded anything in my directory newer than 2 months ago and I can play CoD and BF1942 for hours on end and no problem. It still chumps up.

1) what is this message?
2) are other folks getting it?
3) have you folks found a resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Ouch
Ouchfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Taevitus
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Taevitus
I get that error aswell, but it only happens to me when I camp to character select in windowed mode...and even then, not often enough for me to duplicate without a lot of time on my hands.

I have no idea what the fix is, sorry. Might want to try customer support, they were helpful for me when I had a problem.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams; -- World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers, Of the world for ever, it seems.

Taevitus A'Nimus
Taevitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
Grottnikk

I've had happen to me a few times, too. My experience has been the same as Taevitus's - it locks up on the character select screen.
Grottnikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:53 AM   #4
Kinbien

May want to try EQW instead of that cluster they call "windowed mode." I still get the error on EQW but it's very infrequent, unlike the zone, crash, load, zone, crash, load cycle that never seems to end when in "windowed mode".

EQW can still be found at www.eqwindows.com
Old 11-30-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Kogur
Phatty!

This happens to me a lot as well...what the hell did they change to make this start happening? Six months ago I had never heard of this error, now it happens at least a few times a week.
Kogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
Hummis

This had happened to me a few times as well, but only since I installed the ForceWare 52.16 drivers. I Went back to the 45.23, and it stopped.
Hummis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
It was added in so that you could feel just a little bit more pissed off at SoE's software when EQ crashed.

Before there was that wonderful bit of ambiguity about what had caused the error, so they just wanted to let you know who was screwing you.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #8
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
/agreed Fanon

It actually feels better to not know what the problem is sometimes. That way you can convince yourself to spend on that expensive video card, because that just might fix it....
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:10 PM   #9
Sustained

Was happening to me also, I updated my motherboard drivers from intell to fix it.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:45 AM   #10
abas

Send a message via Yahoo to abas
its very common of late. i know a LOT of people have been getting it
I dont thinkthe problem is due to hardware or drivers though - given that somany people are having this issue and everyone will naturally has different hardware etc.
the two fixes ive heard that people had success with althoughi cant verify it is replacing eq client and giong back to direct x 8.
abas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:23 AM   #11
Ouchfull

Default Dx8?

That sounds abot right .... I mostly just play EQ, but I loaded "Call of Duty" (excellent shooter imho) about 2 weeks ago and it was only after I did that, that the thing started chumping up. Also ... I mostly see the thing lock up only when "new" graphic enhancements are used. I can run around non-LDoN zone for hours on end ... but I zone into a LDoN zone and the thing chumps up ... Also, if I bring up the "gold trail" find a vendor in The Bazaar ... it locks up, and also the thing doesn't work ... it simply "follows me" ... like a streamer .. rather than leadsing me to the vendor .... then it chumps up and freezes my box.

I think I'll try reveerting to an older version of DX ... or say fook it and play CoD until SOE decide that they'll fix whatever it is that's causing the latest and greatest DX version to freeze the client.

/shrug .... anecdotal evidence I know ... but if I have to hear one more tech rep ask me to update ALL my drivers and reload EQ I gonna cancel my accounts and lead a quiet content life .....

thhanks for the responses folks

Cheers,

Ouch
Ouchfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:33 AM   #12
chikopek

Hellos,

I got this error the other night when I was trying to change my fonts while accepting a tl. right after I hit the accept button. I crashed with that error.
I tried logging in but the moment I zoned into the world, I'd crash out with the same error. I suspected that there was a problem with my ui file definition somewhere.

So I went to my UI_<charactername> cfg file in one of the eq directories and found this entry header [fonts] that wasn't in any of my other characters' files.

Under that header was this entry " fonts.us.0= " .

The entry looked pretty incomplete as there was nothing behind the "=". So I added a 0 to the end of it so it became " fonts.us.0= 0 " and tried loading eq again.

It worked.

However, I don't believe that this is the case for everyone. What I am guessing is that that error message is just a generic one that covers the client crashing.
chikopek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:14 PM   #13
abas

Send a message via Yahoo to abas
for those of you locking up on character select screen i found a way round it as i have been getting that too. just ctrl alt del and that should bring up task manager and minimise EQ. when i bring back up EQ to full screen its no longer frozen.

Gulug
abas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:43 AM   #14
Grenoble

Send a message via AIM to Grenoble
Locking up on the character screen occasionally happens to me, but this isn't what they're talking about. As soon as you get back to that screen you just crash and get a message "EQ has detected your client may have crashed"....well, duh.

That hasn't happened since they did a hush hush patch I believe a week ago, but I do still go linkdead (not as often tho, and usually when zoning).

I guess the patch was just so Sony doesn't have to know every time I crash now.

Laedria Darkestar...BoomBoom Girl of Whit's End
Grenoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:06 AM   #15
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
If you want the more serious aspect of this, the message is a result of a data-gathering plug-in SoE added to EQ to allow them to investigate and determine the potential causes of client crashes.

It's quite similar to the feature found in Windows XP (And perhaps earlier versions of NT/2000, I've not used them to any great extent).

The program dumps the code that was in use when the program crashed, along with a basic overview of your system and driver setup, and then sends it to SoE. The system/driver information being sent would normally be a privacy concern, which is why the prompt (Which we see as the "EverQuest has detected that your client may have crashed" box) exists. SoE is required to ask permission before collecting information about your system and transmitting it.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote