Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Default Base Filtering Engine (Windows)

This Service runs Windows Firewall, ICS, a few others. After a Win7 Security package update on 11/12/2011 the comp blacked down (powered off) a subsequent disk check found no problem and a defrag said everything was okay. It happened again, in Warcraft, and I suspected the 8800GT nVidia graphics card. Then it happened again on re-launching Warcraft.

I suspected the card because the machine behaved itself after a break of 10-12 hours. Win 7 has been running without a hitch since April 2010 approx.

One morning this week, Homegroup became an unidentified Network and this kept on happening at startup. Puzzling enough. Windows Firewall did not start automatically. The plot thickened. A look around the Services MMC showed the Base Filtering Engine service would not start and a number of dependencies were hit. Win7 OS claimed the account specified for this service now differed from the account specified for its dependent services like IPsec, ICS, Windows Firewall.

If I had wanted to config anything useful on this OS now it resembled a zombie console. A number of other services were 'Stopped'. No 'computer' service dependencies that should be running off this would this service start, share, filter, manage, identify, control or privilege as a service or service account. There appeared to be a logon account description deadlock, or Error 1079, simply changing the logon account of offending services didn't work. In the Recovery tab, other services had restart values set at 49741 days or in that magnitude and 'Take No Action' in all three boxes. The smoke was getting thicker.

System Restore went through an impressive-looking restart process that ultimately deletes the Restore Point you are recovering to and does not change a thing let alone restore them all. Now I am pissed and stuff.

My machine has Sophos AV installed by courtesy of my university.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 12-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Default How To

Desktop: Go to Start and select 'All Programs' -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. On the left menu panel go to "Services and Applications -> Services".

In Services in the right-hand panel find "Base Filtering Engine" and right click mouse, select 'Properties' in the menu box popup. In the "Log On" tab, select the radio button "This account" and type in (or paste) NT AUTHORITY\LocalService then delete the password fields, leaving them blank. Click "Apply". Go to the "General" tab and select the 'Start' button.

Now you can do the same for Windows Firewall if that had not been starting automatically, and it will now work.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 12-15-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote