Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Default BSoD: planned obsolescence?

My comp yesterday decided to display garbage then blue screen'd as I shut it down. Claiming there is a problem - nv4_disp.dll stuck in an infinite loop. This appeared to be a hardware hiccup. I cannot get 169.21 forceware to re-install properly. Nor can I just run the system properly again after re-boot or reset. The comp crashes at the 'driver installation complete' message, and then blue screens again. Installing via normal startup insta-crashes the comp. Only Safe Mode will install the driver.

Safe Mode uninstall's the nvidia driver successfully too. I got the nVidia driver to successfully re-install from Safe Mode. But my comp will not load the Desktop without first selecting VGA mode at boot: Run -->DXDIAG reports the system is using the generic video device (1Hz refresh). Also asks me to install the hardware manufacturer's driver for my Card. Which as I just said had just been (?)re-installed. In VGA Mode the desktop is usually 4bpp color sometimes 8bpp and maxxes out at 800x600 with Refresh at 'default' (like 1Hz for generic).

Around P.O.S.T. there is blots of color over haphazard text characters and BIOS screen display resolution is also affected; there is no Graphics Card Manufacturer logo or GPU BIOS specs displayed at OS POST launch anymore. This does not appear to be a virus issue, the problem is consistent even with a newly re-formatted disk, and re-flashed, updated motherboard BIOS. AV appware is Norton Internet Security 2008. Environment housecleaning is Registry 1st Aid Platinum (current version), Ad-Aware 2007 ('Plus' version) with teh latest sigs.

I disabled the anti-virus app, have pulled out the modem cable, switched off System Restore and re-installed the driver stuff. The comp just refuses to run that graphics card anymore.

'Device Manager' see's the card and 'Properties' reports no problem with it. DXDIAG isn't giving the same installation okay story, down at its end. Finally, with the nvidia H/W driver installed anyway (though not working) the computer will not launch back into Desktop. Unless VGA mode is selected as a start-up option (as I said earlier).

I have run Registry 1st Aid, and removed the nv4_disp.dll entry after uninstalling the nvidia driver once again. I have re-installed, un-installed, and scratched my head a bit and re-installed EVERYTHING again. Including the hard drives, Windows XP, and drained CMOS. Nothing.

The system is a recent Pentium D 2.8Ghz duo core with 2Gb dimm2 sdram, Gigabyte PCI-e 7600 GS with 512Mb ram, punching in for work on a Samsung SyncMaster 205BW 20in LCD display, x1 seagate 60gb hdd UATA5 formerly formatted FAT32 (Volume label is Dead C) and a seagate 320Gb SATA thinggy which I thoughtfully labelled 'X:'. Re-formatted now to NTFS filesystem.

System specs:
the box is dual bootable. It normally runs off the GRUB bootloader (which just grabs low memory before Windows XP see's devices then GRUB asks you which device's mbr you're choosing) before that goes back to bed. Allowing Windows to pick up the 1st sector MBR in second place. Warning: there is some technical device designation and app configuration, newcomers often don't get it.

10Gb WD hdd running native Gentoo Linux inside,
320 Gb SATA2 (Seagate),
60Gb Seagate UATA4/5 IDE hdd running WinXP OS

m'board is a Rev 2.0 Asus P5LD2-VM LGA-775 (about A4 size)
x1 PCI-e x16 slot (ver. 1.0) and x2 PCI slots
Gigabyte 7600GS 512Mb ddr2 sdram (pci-e x16 ver 2 capable I believe)
Realtek embedded Sound onboard
Intel integrated 950 Media Graphics Accellerator onboard
500W atx2 PS
2 sticks of x1Gb ddr2 sdram in dual channel dimm slots
SamSung Syncmaster 205bw 20in LCD with dvi and analogue wotsit ports
Logitech cordless k/b and laser mouse bundle: box usb--> transciever --> mouse/keyboard. [re-chargeable AA batteries naturally.]
Altec Lansing speaker pair and Sub-Woofer.
Modem is a DSL-G604T Wireless(LAN) Modem/router by D-Link.
Generic chinese midi-tower case inc. tons of expansion bays and fans ($30)
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 09-23-2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: cleaned up
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Michael Cumberlan

Stupid question, possibly ... have you verified that your BIOS has not been reset / corrupted and that the MB video circuitry is actually disabled? Either something could have gotten reset or some malware may have messed with your BIOS ... anything is possible.

While you are at it, if possible, you might want to check your video card BIOS if you can get to it and see if that is at the latest recommended level as well.
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Misty
Do Not Disturb

First let me thank you for your response. ATM I have found a driver update I'm on it, thank god Nvidia have today virtully moments ago released 174.53 WINXP 32 bit forceware (whql) so I can move forward (as far as the DirX dialogue advisory is concerned). I have not yet installed that this download is a very current development, completing literally as I type.

It may be that this a BIOS concern, I had been getting funny BIOS settings its true. Drive devices not running as 32 bit etc, SMART re-enabled (no thanks) Clock reporting its going too hard (setting at Standard and no overclocking explicit). On the other hand I hadn't had 169.21 installed very long maybe 2 months. Only days before the problems I had tried to save a Government job Online App form which was open in Acrobat 8 Reader under a java applet and was not 'saveable' and subsequently noticed a warning I should not try 'Save' or problems might occur (Dept. Immi and Cit. wish me luck). That locked my desktop up a bit it may have corrupted something.

After a Search --> nv4_disp I found like hundreds of old nv4_disp's .dll's and cat files and drivers in /System32 and some other places. I guess I have been running nvidia cards for years, well I had uninstalled the forceware so I removed a swathe of this stuff that couldn't be the Windows installation CD stuff, or the 7600-GS installation cd stuff, or else was very recent. Reasoning being in case of a cross-linked file (being that 169.21 installed as a WIN 2000 folder unlike everything else under Nvidia previously, I'd saved the folder packages). Then cleaned registry of like 194 entries.

My next report shall update the progress of my driver update and any success indicated.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff

Last edited by Misty; 03-21-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Misty
Do Not Disturb

So far I have only been able to switch off graphics 'Write Combining' and 'Hardware Acceleration' --> None.

Downloaded a gpu bios from Gigabyte and got a file mismatch for the card, apparently Gigabyte have not yet got a bios update for the 512Mb dram 7600-GS card and the 256Mb file version doesn't do it, flash fails. A Gigabyte Card Search for the model I have just says 'Coming Soon' in the bios updates page. Doesn't even make the old bios versions available. All the other GeForce cards are into the 4th bios version, mine is still version 2 and there is only a 'coming soon' announcement. There's no contact info or forum board either...
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Card vendor doesn't think it's the video card, atm I'm only able to get internet in safe Mode with networking. I've d/c'd every hdd except the installed OS one. I've even had trouble repairing Windows, repairing an existing installation, and re-installing WinXP. Still will not boot desktop. I've turned the power off, disconnected the comp, pulled out the cmos battery, taken a nap and loaded bios default settings. Ya know I can't change the cpu clock? Even when I select a slower clock option (lower than Standard setting) it goes right back, I can't get a screen if I select the onboard vga and disable my PCI-e card... jesus. I can't update Windows in safe Mode, can't install SP2 or download IE7 (I still have Firefox tho ;p).

This is rough, tomorrow my personal Web Hosting account expires and I probably can't renew it, my anti-virus account expired today, my car registration is due on the 8th, my isp is due, my rent is due, my Gas bill is (small Bill, but hey) overdue, I have an online job application form for the Aussie Public service in I'm waiting for the result (omg I thank my lucky crap-hole Safe Mode lets me connect). Now I'm just waiting for Sasser to fuk me up next.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
AylluesaMT

Have you tried reinstalling Direct X?

It sounds like a windows system file is bad not the Graphics Driver.

I would
1)remove your display driver in safe mode.

2) Reinstall DX

3) Then reinstall the display driver.

It wouldn't hurt to run->msconfig,

goto services tab, click 'hide all microsoft' its at the bottom, then click 'deselect all' - this will cause the loading of only MS services on start.

You can also try adding '/SAFEBOOT /BASEVIDEO /SOS' to your boot.ini. They are under the 'BOOT.INI' screen using msconfig. Safeboot is 'safe mode', BaseVideo is just a 16 color 640x480 output, and SOS will show the drivers as they load, it can be helpful to see if a certain driver failed.

A tool I have used a while back to troubleshoot a laptop graphics driver is
run->Verifier.exe

It can be useful, as it will scan your drivers as they load and report potential problems.

The basic use is:

run->Verifier.exe

'Create Standard Settings'

Next

Click Automatically select unsigned drivers

Next

Finish

Restart

It will either reboot with no problems, or will give you a blue screen telling you of a potential problem.

To make is stop nagging you start Verifier.exe again, and delete existing settings

I can't offer much help on the Verifier program, but I was able to fiddle around with it and find the problem - for me it was outdated firewall driver that had been long uninstalled but the driver remained and it caused some problems.

If something isn't clear google will probably clear it up better than I can, I live on the linux command prompt more than anything else. I also don't come by these boards as much anymore.
AylluesaMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Thank you for your advice, AylluesaMT.

I've been able to disable the nVidia card and re-install WindowsXP, and get into desktop and download XP sp2 all over again. The latest nVidia driver update aborts (version 174.53) installation with the message that no drivers were found for my device. A check suggests the video driver version now available for all cards 6 series and up is a latest 9 series Cards only update. Despite that a Manual Search matches this driver update version for 7 series and up but it will not install. Couldn't use the nvidia auto scanner because I was unable to download SP2 in Safe Mode.

The basic problem is still bugging me, I did however disable a bluetooth mobile phone usb dongle driver. Doing that has restored sound on the comp. It wasn't the problem tho before the nv4_disp bsod. But I still cannot enable my graphics card in h/w accel. and 'Write combining' without crashing the comp. To make it harder XP refuses to uninstall the Card, saying it may be needed at boot. Which makes little sense.

When enabled, Device Manager (Control Panel --> System) says the card is there, driver installed, but DirectX doesn't thinks so.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
WsaberMT

If you have a old card laying around try this.Swap cards reformat and install windows update all your drivers and reinstall old card.I had a similiar problem awhile back and this fixed it for me.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Thanks for the input.

My old card is an AGP slot geForce 4200 Ti, I'm shit outta luck there.

The problem has screwed me almost out of 2 weeks of quality comp. I'm mulling over your re-format hdd and re-install OS possibility. After a last shot at the graphics driver (169.21) install of course, I have already re-installed windows once on this fixit project but I hadn't done a complete hard disk wipe preparatory to that. Just a paint over.

Comp is running with nVidia PCI-e card disabled. Last try the installer complained about h/w accell not being On (couldn't install Direct3D update). I clicked "OK' on the glitch dialog box to close installer and put on graphics Hardware Accelleration, to fully re-install the driver. The computer immediately crashed to BSOD instead. I had to boot back in with Last Known Setting that 'Worked' (meaning the last known OS launch that actually reached its desktop environment on System boot-up I guess). If this glitch has a physical IC transistor or embodies some other material form its incarnation is not long destined to remain on this Plane of Existance. I shall find it, there shall also be found some way to have its kinetic state of matter fucked up, the particles flown into the sun's core maybe, where they shall re-process into another form of matter, the sanguine issue from which, if any, ideally to be ejected thru a Dark body radiation mass nigh the Event Horizon of a Wormhole, itself pave'd into the Schwarzchild Radius of a Black Hole, and the little fucker responsible shall embark marked thus: "Not known at this Address'.

It shall be as though the problem had never been.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Michael Cumberlan

How about this ... take out your graphics card, enable the onboard video, and get windows up and running with that through a couple or more boot cycles including Directx ... THEN and only THEN change the display to basic VGA (guessing here as I am only XP proficient) get a reboot working and THEN install your fancy graphics card (disabling onboard video at the same time of course) .... it is basically the equivalent of putting an old crappy card in your machine (the chip is Intel 950 graphics) ... and it is pretty easy to do (except waiting around for the reboots.)

Good Luck!!
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Can't run onboard video without a graphics port hooked into the monitor. Guess what ..that's coming from the graphics card ;p

Anyway, what you say actually still has merit. Near as I can tell HAL.DLL mis-directed device info referring to all things PCI-e GeForce 7600GS, or piped the physical device mapping to a page table address possibly involving a bad pointer ie file corruption at the hardware interface level. Nothing short of switching in an old m'board and re-installing WinXP can get that page table memory address pointer straightened out at installation System h/w discovery time to fix this. Every re-install of the nVidia driver thru OS will just overlay the HAL.DLL physical device mapping at address 'page x line blah' while pointing the driver file elsewhere. That is unless I am prepared to re-format the system drive and kiss my directories shit bye bye. (viz a vis installed applications) I just don't know how this problem forked down from right-clicking to copy a java document in a secure applet page (apart from reading the screen warning too late). But that's the probable physical origin, there was hard-wired print only code in the applet, it was strictly not copyable (from memory a credit card application to move the balance to a new card and cancel the old). Unless drive failure or power failure did it. Doesn't look like drive failure is a problem.

This is the current best opinion available on the best-fit error description offered on Microsoft technical forums on my available data. I'm going to be taking my time to chew it over before I get off my ass to put in the old p4 m'board, the geForce 4200 Ti card and so forth. After all I'll just be putting the current board back in again. I want to feel sure the plan is gunna work without formatting my disk, there's too much config work and installed setup's, apps etc.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff

Last edited by Misty; 04-11-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Hers a snip from dxDiag:

"------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/18/2008, 05:43:55
Machine name: PCPRESS
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/01/07 10:41:56 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 190MB used, 7846MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: Problems were found in the system registry. Details are available in the saved text file. The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer. You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version. Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 1: No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name:
Manufacturer:
Chip type:
DAC type:
Device Key: Enum\
Display Memory: n/a
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (1Hz)
Monitor:
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: vga.dll
Driver Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
DDI Version: unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/29/2002 22:00:00, 9344 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: vga.sys
Mini VDD Date: 8/4/2004 16:07:06, 20992 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B70EE0-4340-11CF-B063-282AAEC2C835}
Vendor ID: 0x0000
Device ID: 0x0000
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a

Registry Errors Found:
Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{593817A0-7DB3-11CF-A2DE-00AA00B93356}\InprocServer32', Value '', Value ''Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{D7B70EE0-4340-11CF-B063-0020AFC2CD35}\InprocServer32', Value '', Value ''
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Disabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run"
The system is in Safe Mode, it does not run in Desktop once the nVidia GeForce/Forceware Driver is installed. The motherboard BIOS version is 1401 actually, latest Asus P5LD2-VM one. In desktop, with the nVidia driver un-installed, I have Sound working. The onboard integrated sound is detected and its driver installation is in.

I disabled AGP in DXDIAG from the desktop environment just before I re-installed nVidia's video driver (from Safe Mode again). It wasn't that, but I thought I might try switching it off and back on to re-initialise the button.

Apart from the Registry thing above, I'm starting to think my card is dead. Other folks over at the Asus forums talk about the onboard vga running as Primary Display or something and not being able to set the pci-e display device (ie the card). Some have both enabled via DVI cable and that other cable socket for Analog on their dual cable monitor. But those guys have Twin Head cable ports on their cards.

The card may simply be cactus.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff