Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2004, 04:45 AM   #26
Kerryn

My 2 bits.

Vid Card

Stay clear of the Nvidia 5200 and 5600. They're from the first line of cards in the FX range and don't work on the same manufacturing process. Their clock speeds may seem comparative but performance isnt.

The only cards I'd recommend from the FX line are 5700 Ultra, 5900XT, FX5950 Ultra. I hate ATI with a passion but if you can't afford the 5700 Ultra or 5900XT buy ATI.

ATA and SATA.

SATA is one device per channel so you're limited to two drives, or one RAID array. However the SATA and ATA devices work off different controllers, meaning that it is highly unlikely by installing a SATA device you will use up any of the standard IDE channels.

I run a SATA RAID 0 Array, and have an IDE drive as the Master on IDE1. I have a DVD and CDRW as Master and Slave on IDE2.

CPU and Board.

Totally the wrong time to buy an AMD computer, and it's never the right time to buy an Intel machine. AMD have confirmed that the Athlon XP range is now capped at the 3200+ meaning that any board you buy for an Athlon XP processor is never going to be upgradable. When you come to purchase your next CPU you'll need a totally new board.

Anyone who bought an Athlon 64 basically got shafted last month when AMD announced that from August this year all the processors will be based off a different socket. Anyone who already owns a 64 board and CPU will find their system performs slower then any made after this date, and due to socket incompatability they too will be unable to upgrade.

Chipset.

I've had nothing but good experiences with VIA chipsets, but I've never had a good experience with the SIS line. In fact I recently binned a motherboard with the SIS chipset because it was so ungodly slow. Nvidia make a decent chipset for motherboards and their overclocking features are second to none.

So here's my advice. Buy a better video card now and place it in your current machine. Save your cash till the new line of Athlon 64's come out in August and at least you'll be able to upgrade at a later date.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:48 AM   #27
Kerryn

Bugger. That's going to teach me to post on a thread I found in a search. Talk about necro posting and wasting my time.

:\
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #28
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Current-Generation AMD and Intel chips benchmark within 5% of eachother, and I don't mean that either is 5% slower than the other.. AMD does better on some tests, and Intel does better on others.

The only benefit to intel chips is Hyperthreading, which only gives a performance increase when you are multi-tasking.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:50 AM   #29
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Actually thanks for necro'ing this thread. I decided to wait on the computer but it's still something I want to get done soon. In dire need of an upgrade anyway.

So here's my advice. Buy a better video card now and place it in your current machine. Save your cash till the new line of Athlon 64's come out in August and at least you'll be able to upgrade at a later date.
Which leads me to my other major question: without an AGP slot, what's the best video card I can get, for a decent price? Money is still the #1 factor, as I'd rather save it all for a new and better machine (all around) than blow it on a few shiny new parts.

You get what you pay for with Dell, and I didn't pay much.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #30
Abrucx

dont even waste the money, pci cards suck
Old 05-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #31
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Originally Posted by Abrucx
dont even waste the money, pci cards suck
Agreed. Why ask for advice if you aren't going to trust it?