Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Player Behind the Avatar

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Ogmuk
Administrator

Default What has changed for you, IRL?

It has been 10 years now since Erollisi Marr was launched and I'm sure a lot has changed in everyone's life. Did you get married? Are you a parent now? Still playing EverQuest or are you addicted to another game now? You guys don't seem to mind posting such info on your Facebook and blogs so share your personal information with the rest of us!

Last edited by Ogmuk; 05-03-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Ogmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Ogmuk
Administrator

Default I guess I'll start!

I'll keep it short since I got a bunch of other stuff to write, such as the new homepage but surprisingly not a whole lot changed for me. No kids, not married and I'm still in school... I was in college when I played EQ (started playing EQ in 1998, early beta), worked a few years for an IT company, got hooked on WoW (even though it's a horrible game, but many in our guild seem to like it and it was time for us to try something new) and now I'm back in school to get my bachelor's degree.

Who's next?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Ralleigh

Well not a whole lot changed for me while I was playing. I do credit EQ for helping me get out of gangs and off the streets, which is something! The most noteable change happened recently once I stopped playing EQ -- I have time for a social life in the real world lol....... imagine that
Ralleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Festivus

I had two kids with my wife, bought a townhouse and moved from the pacific coast to the San Gabriel Valley (in other words went from comfortable summers to blazing hot summers). I still work at the same place I have for the last 21 years (yay for pensions), and have probably gone through 3 cars.

Gamewise, I pretty much only play D&D these days, of various editions, and in fact I run the local meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/pasadena-dnd/

Come on out and visit if you are in the area. I really have found that I can get the same comradere out of a good D&D game as I could in a EQ raid, plus all the banter at the tabletop. If you haven't played tabletop D&D in a while, it's newest edition is a pretty easy fit for someone used to MMORPG type games.

I tried WoW and disliked it after a few months... see my other thread on this and more stuff.

Next...

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Crystilla
Administrator

Still playing EQ, though less often now (no more weekends, only raiding-only 15 hours now instead of the 20-40 I used to).

Hubby started in 2000, I started in 2001 and since we started (husband and I), the most recent changes are we both had gotten our MBA's, he switched careers (is a teacher now) and last summer we bought our first home. The biggest news is we're getting our first golden retriever puppy (female) in about 5-6 weeks (we pick her up mid June), and we're excited and can't wait.

The house, preparation for the dog, job stuff and just age has slowed down a smidge of the EQ bug. Not enough time in the day to do everything and family/home comes first.
Valorguard
Erollisi Marr server
Crystilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Saraquael

Send a message via ICQ to Saraquael Send a message via AIM to Saraquael Send a message via MSN to Saraquael Send a message via Yahoo to Saraquael
A few changes here and there for me. I'm not in EQ anymore though I do dable a bit in EQ2 when I have time.

Not married though still with the same girlfriend for over 10 years. No kids. Moved to Tucson, Arizona and stayed out there for 4 years, then moved back too Illinois.

I think when I last posted here I was unemployed and had too much time on my hands. These days, I do color restoration for the Marvel Masterworks books and have almost no time on my hands. More or less using the coloring knowledge that I learned from doing sigs .

Don't get to draw nearly as much now though :/
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Raelven
High Priestess of MOO!

Default Real life uses real time!

That took a lot of adjusting too, in and of itself!

Since I stopped playing, I think it was late in 2004, I have gotten more sleep! I've changed jobs, changed boyfriends, changed places to live, but still in So Cal. I am working on finishing my Bachelors degree, and looking for a new frog to enchant. I miss the good old days of EQ, all the magic and new friendships which went with it. I lost track of quite a few of those people, and it is great to see familiar names and the faces that go along with some of them.

Great idea, Oggie, thanks!

raelven@gmail.com
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Ogmuk
Administrator

Hi Raelven. I'm glad I send out that batch of spam! Nice to see people return and say hi. By the way, if you want your uploaded images to show up, you can post them to the appropriate Social Group. But you can also keep them just in your album, they'll just be a little more difficult for people to find.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Looks like a few of us took the same U-turn after EQ. I was in college when I started, dropped for a full time IT job for roughly 10 years, and am now back in college to finish a BS.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Jordis

Default What has changed for you, IRL?

A lot has changed for me since I began playing EQ. I was armoring up and fighting for real with the SCA. The other household members, including my son, were determined that I play EQ with them too. They bought me the game, then got tired of trying to get my poor shaman from Everfrost through Blackburrow to Qeynos alive. After several lost corpses and equipment (we didn't know necros could summon, and EQ had just changed so they couldn't loot out my stuff and bring it back) they twinked me out in a full set of banded and said, "Have fun!

Not long after that I was in a car accident that eventually led to being on disability. EQ became a social life and therapy. Some of the health problems I have create depression, and EQ was so effective at helping me deal with it the therapist wrote out a perscription to give to my family or whoever else needed to see it to make sure I did play! Most moms would relate to the need to have something that you accomplished during the day still be accomplished when you got up the next day. Maybe the experience drops but that AA and the equipment (at least now) remains.

Over the years since then two grandchildren have sat on my lap and made my enchanter and other characters run, jump and dance, and one of them is still counting the years unti he gets to play it.
So many things have changed, but the friends that I have made through EQ have thoroughly enriched my life. I regularly keep in touch with a few that have left the game and had the opportunity to meet some of the others. There have also been a few surprises to find that people I have known outside EQ had been playing alongside me for years!

I'm now able to go to SCA events again on a limited basis, so I'm not always around on weekends any more, but even the people who quit want to know what is happening, what's new, who is still there and to pass along their greetings. I play a couple of other on-line games now, and thoroughly enjoy annoying WoW players of my aquaintance, especially once I figured out that the reason that most of them are playing is not that "everyone plays WoW" but that most of them can't play without a game controller!

Come on, SoE, build a game controller interface and let's make it another great ten years!
Jordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
ExarchMina

Send a message via AIM to ExarchMina
Default life after eq...

It's been about 4 years now since I left eq. I'm still best friends with Sylva, who is one of the most amazing people I've ever had the honor and pleasure of knowing. I've gotten married, to a wonderful man who suits me perfectly in everyway. And I had a baby, A almost 2 year old now named Kathryn Renee (middle name after Sylva's RL middle name.) We all call her Kate. She's the best thing to ever happen to me!

So life for me has been pretty wonderful. You know typical ups and downs but mostly I've been blessed beyond what I deserve or expected. Hope all my friends are doing well, and their little ones too...

<3

Mina
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Ogmuk
Administrator

Didn't even notice Saraquael's post when I replied earlier. Nice to see you back here. I was checking out your website quite recently, a week or two ago. I didn't see the WoW artwork yet. It looks great!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
solicia

The first thing I have learned is Ogmuk never sleeps.
We started in beta, then got deployed, came back for a bit and got deployed again. So I really didn't start playing until around 2004. That was the beginning of my forced retirement from the military due to injuries. 2 of our kids that played are now in college, one broke her neck and is doing better now. We still play, the guild even though in small numbers exist. In my change to civilian I tried several different jobs an then went back to what I know. We now own and operate our own business. Though do to all the software patent law suits we have scaled back several projects, until the courts make their decision, and no we are not the ones filing the lawsuits, most of our work is GPL. 99% of our work goes into CCC systems at the moment. So to sum it up we went from a military family to civilian life (big change) over our EQ time. Oh and I finally got my electrical engineers license, so I do the same work and pay more for my license.
We made several friends in EQ and are still friends with them outside of the game. We don't do the guild get togethers we used to in the spring. We are traveling into ST Louis in a month to see a friend/guild member. I do plan on speeding through where Ini lives so I can get my cup of coffee.
solicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #14
Fystie Lildvil

Send a message via Yahoo to Fystie Lildvil
Wow this is almost like a high school reunion, pretty crazy!

Surprisingly not much has changed for me, except growing up quite a bit. I'm still married to Trilok (Matt), its been almost 17 years now. We already had 3 children when we started playing, but they have grown up alot as well. Except of course for the teenage son, he's becoming more imature as he ages. I'm still working at the same job, 13 years now and i'm thankful for that job security.

We no longer play EQ, we did try a few other games and ended up in WoW. I play maybe 3or 4 hours a week, as I have more fun playing "real life" than games theese days. We bought a fish / ski boat a fews years ago and we take that out quite often to Roosevelt Lake in AZ. It's actually pretty fun getting on a knee board and trying to figure out what I am doing at my age. I'm sure it's rather amusing to watch an almost 33 year old fall off that board so many damn times!

Aside from that, the recent big change was our daughter turning sweet 16. She invited over 100 people to that party, I almost didn't want to show up myself! After planning that for months, I had to go. I even bought her a little saab convertable. That was the "thanks for not doing what I did, and making me a grandma at 32 gift"

I must say, aside from the people from EQ I miss KEI the most!
Fystie Lildvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #15
GraemeFaelban

Send a message via AIM to GraemeFaelban
I've been playing EQ since Nov 2000. Never stopped, although, I do play a lot less now, raid a couple nights a week, log on sometimes off raid times, don't find any groups going, can't get a group going, go play EQ2 instead. Since I started, I got divorced (nothing to do with eq), lost 2 golden retrievers to cancer, hooked up with the wonderful woman I am now with, got her playing some EQ and EQ2, but just a few hours a week at the most. I've tried WoW as well, hated it, didn't even finish out the trial period. I tried Vanguard, my computer couldn't handle it during open beta, haven't tried it since.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #16
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Let's see, I got married during my first EQ stint (March 2002-August 2004), tried WoW briefly at launch (Dec 2004-Feb 2005), got my MBA during my 2nd stint (Feb 2005-August 2007), moved to CT from MA and bought a house in 2006, had our first child (also two miscarriages which was difficult to say the least), and restarted WoW (November 2007 onwards).

I think I grew up a lot during EQ and probably in spite of EQ I was really irresponsible during my first EQ tour of duty in terms of how I managed my life (and indirectly my future wife's life) around the game. I was better the second time, though still played far too much. WoW fits my lifestyle a lot better than EQ did in terms of its casual playability. EQ outside of raiding just never held any interest for me, so the only way to enjoy the game was via fairly hardcore playtime (if not truly hardcore progression!). I've been able to have a much more reasonable game-life balance with WoW. Even my wife, who I've forever poisoned against MMORPGs, notes the night and day difference between how I managed EQ vs WoW. I wouldn't say I'm cured of the gaming bug by any stretch, but I'm doing soft drugs instead of crack

It's pretty amazing to me that EQ is still going. While we all had our complaints over the years, it's a testimony to what an interesting game the devs put together and what a good community that game fostered. While I would never log into EQ again I think it's telling that I'm still engaged in the E-Marr site and keep touch with people I haven't gamed with in a few years. That is something that I don't think is nearly as strong in WoW. Perhaps if I was more hardcore that would surface, but there are just so many players I don't think any servers have the sort of community that most EQ servers had.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
Ogmuk
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
While I would never log into EQ again I think it's telling that I'm still engaged in the E-Marr site and keep touch with people I haven't gamed with in a few years. That is something that I don't think is nearly as strong in WoW. Perhaps if I was more hardcore that would surface, but there are just so many players I don't think any servers have the sort of community that most EQ servers had.
I have played WoW hardcore and I can tell you that it doesn't matter. The game is very asocial because of the instances and the easiness. You can spend as many hours in WoW as you do on EQ and still barely know 10 people outside of your own guild, if you're even in one since you can get pretty much raid-like gear soloing all the way. Blizzard's policy on server transfers (i.e. cash cow) is also partly responsible for this. WoW has too many players who go server/guild hopping. Secretly applying to guilds on another server and when they get accepted, they are gone.

You're right. I don't think there is any WoW server, or for that matter, any other MMO game that offered the same kind of community that EQ's servers had.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
GraemeFaelban

Send a message via AIM to GraemeFaelban
Originally Posted by Ogmuk View Post
I have played WoW hardcore and I can tell you that it doesn't matter. The game is very asocial because of the instances and the easiness. You can spend as many hours in WoW as you do on EQ and still barely know 10 people outside of your own guild, if you're even in one since you can get pretty much raid-like gear soloing all the way. Blizzard's policy on server transfers (i.e. cash cow) is also partly responsible for this. WoW has too many players who go server/guild hopping. Secretly applying to guilds on another server and when they get accepted, they are gone.

You're right. I don't think there is any WoW server, or for that matter, any other MMO game that offered the same kind of community that EQ's servers had.
Sadly, with the changes to EQ, the same is now true in EQ. With mercenaries, if you have two accounts, you can two box through most of the non raid stuff anymore, grouping is way down from what it used to be. The LFG tool is often completely empty. Groups are hard to come by even in a guild anymore.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
Twiggie

Send a message via AIM to Twiggie Send a message via MSN to Twiggie
I'll join in, though not sure how many people who are around the boards will remember me The game was always more a social thing for me than anything else so I never did catch up to everyone in levels!

Considering I was 14 when I started playing EQ (right around the time Emarr started up), yeah...A LOT has changed! I graduated high school, for instance. :P

Since I quit (I think I officially cancelled my account in 2004 but once I started college in 2002 my playing time decreased a lot) I received my BA in art and have joined the "real world."

I played WoW for a bit but missed the community of EQ and grew bored with it pretty quickly. I have 3 jobs going now (research lab, horse barn, metalsmithing) so even if I wanted to play a game again I don't have the time. Kruk and I have been dating for 2+ years now, and yes, we met on Erollisi Marr...this is about the only place that's not weird to explain that situation!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
You know, a lot has changed, and not much has changed at the same time. Back then I had just moved down to Phoenix, I was attempting college, I had a full time job to pay the bills and I played too much EQ as well. I eventually had to drop college after I had a car accident and lost my job (pizza delivery... hard to do without a car) ended up moving about 17 times to multiple places here in Arizona and then back to Nevada, where I was raised.

Then, a few years ago... I moved back down here to Arizona. At the beginning of the year I started college again and I just got a really good job with GoDaddy.com... I've been playing around with Warhammer Online and really am back to where I was back then... albeit a lot more stable now (I've only averaged 1 move a year instead of 2-3 :P )

I still wish a game would come out that could capture the magic of playing this game for the first time... I just don't know if it's possible now... maybe when they get full VR up and running
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #21
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Originally Posted by Gurglespit View Post
I just got a really good job with GoDaddy.com...
So you're saying their new poster girl is a spitter, not a swallower.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Ogmuk
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ice Weasel X View Post
So you're saying their new poster girl is a spitter, not a swallower.
Hehe. The way they advertise is pretty much the reason I stopped using their service, that and all the nag screens before you get to ordering that simple domain without all the extra crap. Besides, namecheap.com is a lot cheaper if you want a private whois (yeah, I know, apparently I do buy 1 thing from all that extra crap, hehe).

But, I don't want to derail this thread... It's nice to see another familiar name. Hi there, Gurgle. How is Warhammer? It had some really nice features but the game was too similar to WoW for me. I think we're all waiting for that MMORPG that's actually a challenge to play, like EQ was. Bring back the exp penalties. People need to be afraid to die. I also miss traveling, as it weird as it may sound. Spending an hour to get around the world made EQ feel like it was huge.

Oh, and another thing I was obsessed with is with the WYSIWYG loot, kind of. If a mob was wielding a weapon, you'd get it. That was awesome and I don't think I've seen a MMORPG use it since, other than Darkfall, which is a piece of crap. And being able to give your skeleton pet weapons was absolutely amazing. The good old days when I was kiting stuff in Karana and giving my skeleton dual wield stunning whips. Madness! But I'm derailing again... Back to RL stuff.

Last edited by Ogmuk; 05-04-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Ogmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #23
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
I'm still here.

Well, I started back in Oct 2000, and I was in the military. I had a little trouble with every so often not showing up on time to work (yay for oversleeping after a particularly long stint of EQ...). Funny part was that I was turning things around, setting a limit on how long I stayed on the game, etc...and I missed a training day due to something totally unrelated to EQ and my supervisor pushed my discharge. That was in 2003.

At that point, I sold my account to Hormadrune. A couple of months later I was able to start playing again, as I decided that it really didn't matter whether I played or not, plus I was staying at a friends apartment, and he played too. So I got the account back from Hormadrune and began playing again. Moved to another friends apartment, got forced into having a....personal relation with him and got the hell out, moved back home to GA (from Colorado.....OMFG I wish I could go back.)

Then 2 yrs with no EQ, due to lack of internet. I played when I could, when I had internet. I was back a yr, then gone a yr, and then have been back since. Currently I'm a correctional officer, worked for the state for a year and left there to work at a smaller facility closer to home. I now work at Bulloch County Correctional Institute in Statesboro, GA. Have been here a year and a half so far, and I'm going up for a Corporal position.. think there's only 3 of us going up for it, so we'll see
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #24
Lurikeen
Freaky

I started playing around October of 2000... just a few months before the release of Velious. My first character was "Virtdeth" and my first guild was "The Cimmerii". It was an evil RP guild and the most fun I had in the game. We would team up with other evil RP guilds and have guild wars with good guilds like Knights of the Holy Storm. I rolled my first character and started playing a cleric (Locutes), but spending most of my time sitting in front of the spell book "meding" was boring, so I went back to playing a DE Necro again... Lurikeen. Shortly after PoP I quite the game altogether. I came back to the game for a month when Sony put up the progression servers, but it just wasn't the same. I still play EQ2 on Anotonia Bayle server, but very casually... maybe a couple hours per week and sometimes only a couple hours a month.

The biggest change in my life since EQ has been sobering up and becoming a Christian. I used to get drunk nearly every night. Especially when on-line and chatting about drinking. I think I had forgotten much of the game simply because of being drunk. I also didn't make many friends on this board because of my antics and beligerent posting in a drunken haze. I truly thank God that He has cleaned up my life. Getting gaming and drinking under control certainly has helped me and my family.

It is hard to believe that it has been ten years. I still remember the old EMarr board and what looked like endless ranting on R&F. R&F is pretty tame now and for some twisted reason I am still participating in SV talking politics, religion, philosophy, or any thing else.

Ogmuk, thanks for 10 years of these boards! I like the new look, too.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
Dinuven

This is pretty cool. I was at work checking my email and I see an this 10th anniversary. Brings back some pretty good memories (as well as bad heh). I was reading through some of these threads and it's interesting to recognize some names. What's more interesting is that I recognize these names more from these boards than in game (a tribute to you Og).

I don't really remember when I started playing EQ but it was before Erollisi Marr existed. I can't remember which server but it was the first ones to go live. I was in high school when I started playing and now I'm an Engineer, have my own place and live with my significant other (not married yet, thank god).

As for games, WoW is my drug. Although I like to think of it as my cure. I still like mmos but EQ scarred me for life. I was never able to get back into games hardcore like EQ (which is a good thing). No game out there caters to the casual player quite like WoW. You can go in do anything you want and get out anytime without the guilt that was associated with EQ (because everything required so much time spent by you and others). Anyway, I sound like a spokesperson for Blizzard now so I'll stop it at this

Shout out to Magister members and friends that were around when I played
Well... used to be these things anyway :P
Dinuven is offline   Reply With Quote