View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 05:27 AM   #202
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
My grandmother (Alabama) was married at 14. She's in her 70's now and still married to the same guy. One of my great grandmothers was married and had a baby at the age of 12. She went on to have 10 more kids, and stayed married to the same man until she died in her 90's.

Society tells us that 18 is the magical age at which we become adults, and a lot of people build their thinking around that - separating children from adults based on a number. The reality is that people mature at different rates, and sometimes there isn't a lot of difference between an 18 year old, a 15 year old, or a 12 year old. We heap more responsibility on them the older they get, but that doesn't mean they're any more or less ready for it than the guy next to them.

That's one reason I guess I don't have a huge problem with states that allow 15 and 16 year olds to have sex or get married. We aren't necessarily talking about a huge gap in maturity or 'readiness' for sex or marriage. Much before that, and I'd say they probably aren't physically or emotionally mature enough to understand what they're doing, so they can't really consent to it.